Male HQ

My China Trip

erection day

This is my second trip to China and I am writing this mini journal now from a wonderful hotel room in Li Jiang- a province in Yunnan. No, it's not a holiday trip- more a working holiday. The view from my window is majestic, overlooking a picture-postcard mountain scenery with low hanging clouds over the ice-capped mountain peaks. The air here is really cooling and fresh and the people are generally friendly so far. This morning, while I was having breadfast, I happened to see the former Thai ex-premier Suaryud Chulanont having his breadfast with his entourage just few tables away. What a handsome man!

I dont know if I'll have much time to explore the city. Anyone been here and can recommend anymust-visit gay spots? :lol:

A group of us went to 'paint the town red' last night. :lol: While not doing exactly that (afterall, my colleagues are all straight), one of my friends unfortunately had his handphone pickpocket during our walk in 'ancient city'. It kinda of spoilt our mood a bit though the old cobbled street of ancient city is really a novelty to walk thru. Rolls and rolls of little inns lined the street with bright red laterns hanging gayly outside the souvenir shops. Lots of noisy pubs and rowdy customers. Quite happening.

I just came back from lijiang last night. And I didnt fall in love with the city until my very last day there when a group of us went up to the snow mountain. There, in a spectacular show by Zhang Ximou with the majestic mountain and the sky as the stage backdrop, a most moving drama of love and life of a Chinese minority group unfolded. At the end of the show, I was in tears. There's something totally serene as we sat there at the end of the show, holding up our hands in prayers to the mountain to ask for some our little prayers to be answered.

Anyway, I found a good link to an excerpt of the show.

I also bought the soundtrack. I am just so in love with the main song- Home. Those who want to listen on a mp3 file, do message me. Cheers. Will post some pixs when I got more time.

Edited by erection day

Thanks spa for the recommendation. Fact is, I am not much of a 'scenery' person. More of a city person. But those going to Lijiang or Guilin and Hangzhou, pls do make a special trip to see the show. I dont know when I will be going back to China again. I am afraid I am not too used to the people there. :lol: I remember when we landed at Kunming airport (there is no direct flight from Spore to Lijiang), right after coming out of the custom (with many local people pushing their way in front of you), I witnessed what was to be the first of many shouting matches there. An angry Chinese man, red in the face (obviously he had been drinking heavily) began a shouting match with another Chinese guy. The two had to be separated by some security guards. The first angry man, totally aggressive, threatened to kill the other guy there and then. Half an hour later, right in front of the chaotic departure gate, some very angry passengers began shoving and shouting at each other. The poor woman airport worker, her voice rising in pitches, yelled back at some rowdy male passengers who had missed their flight or went to the wrong departure gate. In the end, security police had to be called in because one of the male passenger ignored the airport worker and marched uncaringly into his plane. On my last day at the departure gate, more shouting and fighting match- this time with some local guys who cut queues.

Lijiang is located quite high among the mountains. So the air there is very fresh and also somewhat thin. On my first day, my eyes went so dry and red and i was quite breathless for a while. The condition got better after a few days. Some people asked me if I did venture up to Shangri-la which was about four hours drive's away. I'd love to see it. The air is even thinner there. But I was on a company trip so it was a missed opportunity.

I just came back from lijiang last night. And I didnt fall in love with the city until my very last day there when a group of us went up to the snow mountain.

Oh Lijiang city is famous its golf course too called "Jade Dragon Snow Mountain Golf Club", its located about 6,000m above sea level. The air is so thin and the golf ball could fly further than the usual one.

Never been there but will go one day, still in the pipeline.

Quote: Golf and sex are about the only things you can enjoy without being good at them. ~ US Professional Golfer Jimmy Demaret

Quote: If you watch a game, it's fun. If you play at it, it's recreation. If you work at it, it's golf. ~ Actor Bob Hope (1903 - 2003)

Yes, Lijiang is quite well-known for their lush golf course. I've heard the tourist guide raving about it.

Strangely the other thing I did miss from this trip is watching one of their TV stations. It's CCTV 12- a crime-watch law and society programme that is absolutely riveting. Each day, court cases of murder, deceit, greed, social discord are played out on this channel. What is most special is that this station do not flinch from showing real criminals on screen (some might bemoan the human rights angle here) but one do get to see and hear live tv confession out of the accused in their prison garb. And when there's a drug bust, or criminal raid, the cameraman goes charging in along with the policeman. It seems that there're so much social injustice there in a way. I particularly remember two cases, both with sad endings. One was about a woman who just gave birth to a baby boy. Barely few hours after birth, a 'nurse' came into the ward and took the baby away for an inoculation. And the baby was never seen since again. The parents were heartbroken. The hospital denied responsibility. And it seems- no justice for the parents at all. In another case, a rich businessman used up all his saving, and borrowed heavily from friends and relatives to build a road leading to a provincial airport. He was told to use his capital in advance. After completion, the provincial authority refused to paid up and the businessman (another broken man) had to fight his way to the court for justice. In the end, he only got partial payment (most of his 'reward' went to the court 'fees'), still in heavy debts and probably too old to pick himself up again.

• 4 weeks later...

I did not bring my camera on my last China trip but these are some shots taken from my handphone.

The majestic snow-mountain is the magnificent backdrop in which this city sits.

5-1.jpg

Kinda of cloudy but on a clear day, you can see the peak of the mountain

4-1.jpg

The open-air theatre where the local tribes put on a wonderful show directed by Yimou

1-1.jpg

This is taken from outside the famous ancient city.

3-1.jpg

Outside its entrance is these interesting craving on the wall.

7-1.jpg

A rather blur shot of a typical shop inside the city with red laterns and all

2-1.jpg

Nice pics ED...they certainly remind me of my Lijiang trip many years ago..i stayed in a hotel with superb view of the snow mountain too...the air was sweet back then...the mystical tribes living in this part of the world are mesmerising..and are those kois/goldfish still swimming freely in the longkang of Lijiang ancient city? I hope Lijiang has not lost her charm to pollutions after all these years....

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.