Male HQ

So You Want To Visit Hawaii

beef4beef

This site has been a resource for info about Singapore and Taiwan for me. During that process, several people have asked about the rainbow night (or day) life in Hawaii. I thought I'd share my reply with everyone here.

WARNING: Before you read on happily, I'd like to remind that this is a strictly personal account with no public responsibilities whatsoever, and is laced with a lot of generalizations. Some may even sound a little racist, so be forewarned :)

So if you're okay with that and are still curious, please do read on. No feedback is required though.

Here's the start:

Hawaii is quite the paradox. There is an amazing assortment of 'types' here. So it should appeal to many.

Ranging from tiny built but very muscular Japanese (google 'Shavis Higa') and Filipinos (google 'Alvin Viernes') who are under 5'4 to the very large aka Samoan 250lbs and upwards. The biggest and beefiest Japanese or asians for that matter (men and women) can be found here. In part attributed to genetic selection (fittest migrants were chosen to work in the fields) and the huge food portions coupled with lots of weight lifting. You can tell the difference between a local Japanese from a visiting Japanese very easily. Asian G-men are a quite a common sight at shopping centers and beaches.

Then there's the ethnically 'mixed', aka 'Hapa', whose parentage is somewhat of a conversational topic in itself. Many are at least 3 if not more often consisting of one of these: Chinese, Hawaiian, Portuguese, English, Filipino, Japanese, German (and other European nationalities). These individuals are so mixed you're not sure how to place their genre. Many are very attractive. The slight exception are the Koreans, who tend not to inter-marry. Oh of course you'll find the whites too, who are not as popular. Hmm... I wonder why...but I won't go there now.

It seems like a paradise of sorts but there's a catch. Generally (and very liberally used) the whites flaunt being gay openly (perhaps they are away from their home town). On the contrary, a vast majority of the local asians and islanders are extremely conservative, aka closeted. The ones who are not obviously 'mahu', aka 'ah kua' - are so closeted you won't be able to tell; great if you are attracted to the manly type. But its a double edged sword because they'll leave you wondering... hoping...never knowing, too. And just when you thought they were errhem ... pop comes the girlfriend (cover up), sending you back to square one. They're only looking for sex buddies. Don't expect relationships. It is common knowledge that there is a good size population of 'married-to-women' gay men, many even with kids in tow.

There are 3 gay bars in Waikiki on the island of Oahu, mainly for the tourists (often filled with whites and a sprinkle of girlie or out-and-proud locals) and 1 gay gym (also in Waikiki). You can find more info here: http://www.gayhawaii.com/

Don't bother trying to find gay night life on the other islands, it is practically zero.

The manly straight acting locals will never be caught being seen at any of these establishments. There are various reasons for this. Some dislike the crowd. Some prefer a less conspicuous venue. I've come to understand why this is so; imagine an island the size of Singapore but with about only 900,000 residents. As the saying goes here: "someone knows or is related to someone here". Hence the high closeted situation.

So the question everyone asks is how and where do you find them? I'm afraid that even I do not have all the answers. It is very much an underground thing. It is by word of mouth, friend's friend and the 'Hawaii' room of www.gay.com (hey, you don't have to go there now! Stay focused! Haha); but be forewarned the chat room is full of drama. Do not believe everything they say and just use common sense (and caution) when chatting (as with all other chat rooms).... oh, and there are also too many whites in there. Haha! Yep, I'm a little racist! Haha!

While the mind set is still 'asian conservative', the generic typecast American hang ups/influence is very strong; this is manifested in such things as it is very much an expected thing for all young men to workout or at least have membership with a gym, want big biceps (guns) and chest, act super manly (butch). Lots of social rules about 'real men don't do this or do that'. If you don't fit that typecast mold, you must be gay. The preened high fashion metro-male is in high suspect. Real-man-don't-wear-speedos-rule still persists. Even the women don't like their men in speedos, only in knee length surf shorts. (I joke about the bird-size white American legs, hence they invented the surf shorts). Asians generally have nice legs they should flaunt it. It is a very bi-polar society. Still very old fashion and old school in many ways. Interesting as it is really. But also frustrating as it is so complex. Again I'd like to remind you that this relates to the State of Hawaii. It is very different in a bigger town, with a bigger population, such as NY or SF.

So there you have it. A lot of local eye candy in Hawaii (cartoon characters like the ones drawn by artist Jiraya and Tagame come to life here) but not much in terms of immediate action (except those from your digital camera). There are no bath houses the likes of Singapore, much less like the ones in Japan or Taiwan.

Thanks for reading this far. Feel free to post a question, I'll try to answer as best as I can.

Edited by beef4beef

"Life it too short to be small"

• 1 year later...
Guest jack1801001
:lol: aloha from honolulu. question, is there a sauna for men, in honolulu that you know of??, also, las vegas. love your help, --wishing yopu well, and appreciate any help, jackc@hawaii.rr.com ----happy easter. BOTTOM jack for men!!!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.