Male HQ

Travelling To States

castaway

Hi,

I am going to travel as backpacker to States for 2-3 weeks this Summer (around June or July) but still waiting for my boss' approval.

I would like to ask everybody here for some information and tips to have better preparation.

I have in mind NYC, Washington DC, Seattle (may be), Las Vegas, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago (may be) and especially Grand Canyon (which I still don't know where it is, only hear about it) :P ... is there any special or better city I should include in my trip ?

So could you guys kindly help to advise any tips, information, your experience about transportation, budget hotel/hostel, gay bar/club/sauna/sex parties :rolleyes: in all those cities ?

This is my first time to States so I really appreciate your information and shared experience.

Thanks in advance :thumb:

P.S : I need to have sex almost everyday so where I can pick up guys :whistle:

===============

Sometimes, the greatest journey is the distance between two people

Hello! NYC, Seattle can be grouped together. If you plan properly, you can even cross the border to Canada (Nigara Falls). You have to check if Visa(s) is needed.

I backpacked to San Frans, Las Vegas and Grand Canyon in one single trip. San Frans very open to PLUs - you should know better right! A lot of dance, strip clubs etc. Las Vegas is not so tolerant to homosexuality so must not be too open about it. Grand Canyon is very beautiful. If possible, try to stay in the lodge at Grand Canyon for at least 2 nights. Need to book early because very fast "snatched" up liao (not sure about now lah - economic crisis). If you have enough time and want to add in LA, can too but I think it is very tight.

You can explore San Frans by foot easily (at night dont go to those cruisy parks - dangerous). LA will need transport from one point to another, minimum must take bus, walk can die...haha! San Frans has a street that clearly divides the city into the nicer, richer part and the poorer ones. I rem a few saunas were located on the poorer side, and according to what I read, these places are not safe, especially for lone travellers, so I didn't explore. One cabby offered to drive me over, NO NO......because after he dropped me there How I come back?? haha! If cant get cab late at night I mati............

From San Frans you can go to Yosemite National Park by train (think about 4hrs or so).

From San Frans to Las Vegas need to fly...........

Las Vegas can go to another National Park or Red Desert (Cant rem the exact name)

Las Vegas to Grand Canyon - best is to fly (cut down so much time)

Will you be touching down at SF, then travel to all those places and come back to SF to fly back to Singapore? If so, you must also plan the time for coming back to San Frans to catch the flight home.

SF lodging quite ex, unless you stay in the hostels (not very good condition loh)....you can search for the hostels online....

Lonely planet provides very good info. You narrow to some places first, then read up Lonely planet.

Edited by Dioscuri

Hey,

The first thing you ought to do right now is to read up a bit on the geography and the places of interest in USA.

You need to know at least in which state is the Grand Canyon dear.

Plan out your intininery starting, say, from the west coast (hope you know where is west) and work towards eastern side or vice versa - only then you can plan your tickets purchase.

Know what you are seeking on this trip......- sights, culture, food, city lights, shopping, nature, sex etc ?.....list down all the must-dos and plan your journey accordingly. 3 weeks is not a long time, plan effectively.

If you are seeking sex along the way, just be very very careful. Its not SG, some places are really rough and not very safe. The worst thing is being mugged and raped.

If you are backpacking, try not to carry too much cash. It'll be good if you have a credit card that can withdraw money along the way; may cause a bit more, but safer cause you are alone.

Thank you guys Doiscuri and Cock Brand so much for your value information.

Yes, I will look and search more on internet about the Geography so at least I have idea how I can go from this city to other.

Have you ever tried to use the Intercity Greyhound Bus ? Is it really cheap and safe ? How about the quality compared to Eurolines in Europe ?

I heard people travel to Grand Canyon by driving car but I don't know how to drive so do you know if there is a bus/tour going there ? or ir there any website/place that we can find someone going there who want to share the car ?

I heard that (again) NYC is best city for clubbing, is it true ? Can you advise about gay club/bar there ? ;)

Yes, people say SF is gay capital of the world so I guess there are many many clubs/bars overthere :rolleyes:

For accommodation, I often use www.hostelworld.com or www.hihostels.com

I will fly to NYC first then come back from SF. :)

Thanks information about the cash ... and rape ;)

I like the idea of Nigara Falls :D

===============

Thank you guys Doiscuri and Cock Brand so much for your value information.

Yes, I will look and search more on internet about the Geography so at least I have idea how I can go from this city to other.

Have you ever tried to use the Intercity Greyhound Bus ? Is it really cheap and safe ? How about the quality compared to Eurolines in Europe ?

I heard people travel to Grand Canyon by driving car but I don't know how to drive so do you know if there is a bus/tour going there ? or ir there any website/place that we can find someone going there who want to share the car ?

I heard that (again) NYC is best city for clubbing, is it true ? Can you advise about gay club/bar there ? ;)

Yes, people say SF is gay capital of the world so I guess there are many many clubs/bars overthere :rolleyes:

For accommodation, I often use www.hostelworld.com or www.hihostels.com

I will fly to NYC first then come back from SF. :)

Thanks information about the cash ... and rape ;)

I like the idea of Nigara Falls :D

===============

i used to backpack in States+Canada for 2 month + n 2005, mostly by Greyhound bus. u only have 2-3 wks, better focus in certain areas rather than spreading urselves to so mani cities unless u consider flying here n there !

East Coast: NYC, Philly, Boston, Washington DC: may cost u 10 days alr

Eastern Canada: Toronto, Niagra Falls, Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec City: another 10 days

West Coast: Seattle, SF, LA: a week

Near West Coast: Las Vegas, Grand Cayon, NParks: a wk

North East: Chicago and surrounding Great Lakes: 3-4 days

North: South Dakota (Mt Rushmore), Yellowstone NP, Mt. Titon: a wk

South: Dallas, Houston, New Orleans: 4-5 days

South East: Orlando, Miami, Key West: a wk

Buy Lonely Planet or Rough Guide to estimate how much time u need !

Hi Castaway,

I agree with Alex10, your 3 weeks is a bit too short to cover so many cities, you'll end up just passing by without seeing much. Maybe you shd consider just visit the west coast this time and the east coast another time.

Travelling by Greyhound is inexpensive and very safe but time consuming and you probably may spend almost 1/2 of your 3 weeks's time on the bus if you want to travel interstate in it.

Spend some time planning - include in travelling time within cities and things you really want to do there.

Drop by some of the travel agents here and look at their brochures on US packages and look at their itinerery - its a good reference as they normally cover most places of interest. Ask some relevant questions about it there and take note.

And yes, prepare yourself to walk alot, with a backpack.

Thanks Alex & Cock :thumb:

Yes, I know 3 weeks are not enough and it is always never enough to visit and enjoy beautiful cities but I am not travelling too many cities as Alex so I just want to visit famous and typical cities of States.

With my experience, when I travel to a new city, 3-4 days are enough to "feel" the city because I also know that if I want to understand deeply, to see all the beauty of that city, it can takes me weeks, months, years or a life of living there ... anyway, everybody has different point of view and travelling type but I really appreciate your opinions. :)

I already collected all the brochures/catalog of tours in States from NATAS and I will look into it for further information.

East Coast: NYC, Washington DC : 1 week

West Coast: Seattle (may be), SF, LA: 1 week

Near West Coast: Las Vegas (only 1 day, no money :P), Grand Cayon, NParks (may be): 1 wk

North East: Chicago and surrounding Great Lakes: still consider to combine with other cities ... may be not

For Greyhound, I only use it if it is really cheap, overnight bus otherwise, budget airline is always the best solution for me. ;)

But no1 advise me about the gay bar/club/sauna/parties in such cities ... any experience to share ? :D:rolleyes:

===============

Hi Castaway,

From reading some of your posting, you seem a seasoned traveller.

If you really want to sample some sex activity during your trip, I think your first stop shd be SF.

Im not keen on whites or blacks so I did not visit any of their saunas/spa, only visited some bars and live shows to looksee looksee. Also my main priority is to see more of the city, so spend more time just doing that.

Im not sure of your stats and your preference for angmo, but I was told that in suanas/spas, small built asians are often either ignored or "abused."

Kena banged by a group of 8incher hispanics is no joke hor :whistle:

And the first place you need to go in SF I think is to Castro, the gay capital of the US if not the world.

The mood there is so happy, so carefree, so laidback, I felt so 'belong' there.

There are numerous bars, resturants, bookshops, parks, theatres, etc, with billboards and posters everywhere announcing current and coming events.

It was in an afresco cafe there that I met this cute Japanese tourist from Osaka and we ended up touring the city together for the next 3 days. And share his room too, an unexpected bonus :P

In Castro, you can find almost any info you need across the whole US. I think theres a newsletter you can subscribe to that provides info, updates on events throughout US etc.

Hope you'll have great time in the US

Thanks Cock for your information :thumb:

Yes, I don't plan to go to club or bar everynights ;) first it is expensive, I guess and I am just backpacker :)

then I need to rest as well ;) but I don't want to be a monk there either :(

If I go to New York first, where do I need to get such gay information or events ...

Do you know any website that I can look for it ? I search on internet but there are too many so I don't know which one is useful and really good ...

Anyway, do you know any nude beach in States near the cities I will visit ? :rolleyes:

Do you remember which hotel/hostel you stay before (prefer near gay club) ? :whistle:

A big kiss to you :thumb:

===============

Hi Castaway,

Not much info on hotels and gay haunts I can provide you for NYC cos was there only a week plus and stayed in my married cousin's place. My friend had stayed at the YMCA in NYC on Broadway, the rates about US$75. Told me it was quite ok - cleaniness, neighbourhood, location etc. You can also try for rooms at priceline and orbitz.

Try not to stay in Bronx or Queens but in NYC, moving around is much easier.

Jun/july is also the peak period for gay festivals in NYC, so you should be having a great time soaking in the festive mood.

SF I stayed in a small hotel in Union Square. Nice small hotel in a nice neighbourhood and is central (let me try to recall the name later). Went to visit a nudist beach in SF. Its in Sausalito, not very far, just after crossing the famous Golden Gate Bridge. You must be nude to be on the beach, otherwise dont get nearer than 1km away. Not much to see though - lotsa middle aged out-of-shape people - guys with barrel tummy and gals with sagging tits. :(

If you are lucky, you may find some pockets of gays (usually in fine shape) here and there.

Once you go to Castro, you'll be not short of info, very easy to ask around there.

In the US, there there are more nudist parks than beaches and they are more pleasant - grass land, ponds and rivers, tree shade etc. Try to go to one in NYC, heard its very happening especially in june/july period.

Hi Cock,

Thanks for your information :thumb:

YMCA is the hostel for youth ? If it is hostel, I guess 75 $ is over my budget :( .... I used to stay with 40 people in 1 big DOM in Germany, no problem for me as long as it is cheap :D :yuk: ... very cheap :B)

I love when you said that Jun/July is peak period for party :lol: ...

Now I have general idea about my first week in East Coast, I will be travelling to NYC then buy Greyhound bus ticket to Washington DC and Boston. Now, I have 1 question :D I just check price, it is funny to me, if I buy ticket one day b4 departure date, then it is very cheap around 20 $ but 1 week before then it is more expensive (32$). It is totally different from Europe Line bus in Europe :o . May be they have their own reason, so anybody here tried to buy 1 day b4 and is it available or always full ? Is it always crowded and need to queue up ? :B)

Someones told me that it is very difficult to go around in LA and San Diego if I don't drive due to bad public transportation ... so how can I go around, by taxi or tour ? Is it expensive ? If I can't go around then what is point to be there ? :(

In SF, the most places I would like to visit is Golden Gate and the famous prison, is there any tour to go there or I need to go by myself. If there is, has anyone tried it b4 then give me more comments ?

Thanks for your information about nude beach :yuk: will report to you after I come back ... if I can go nearer 1 km with clothes on :hat:

Now, I just remember and found that why I forgot about Hollywood which is also in Cali state. Is it worth to go there to see the studio and celebrities ? Near LA ? Is there any tour ?

Cheers :D

================

I love when you said that Jun/July is peak period for party :lol: ...

Because summer is the only time in New York when you can wear very very little mah :twisted:

Now I have general idea about my first week in East Coast, I will be travelling to NYC then buy Greyhound bus ticket to Washington DC and Boston. Now, I have 1 question :D I just check price, it is funny to me, if I buy ticket one day b4 departure date, then it is very cheap around 20 $ but 1 week before then it is more expensive (32$). It is totally different from Europe Line bus in Europe :o . May be they have their own reason, so anybody here tried to buy 1 day b4 and is it available or always full ? Is it always crowded and need to queue up ? :B)

I guess its their so call last-minute ticket - same for air tickets. If you want to take a chance, same as in Europe- go to the airport and queue for last-minute ticket for flights leaving soon, the cost is usually less than 1/2 price.

Someones told me that it is very difficult to go around in LA and San Diego if I don't drive due to bad public transportation ... so how can I go around, by taxi or tour ? Is it expensive ? If I can't go around then what is point to be there ? :(

LA is a very very large city, very spread out, but you can move around by bus, its very easy. Lotsa walking though.

Nothing much to see in San Diego except if you want to visit Sea World or the Mexican border.

Can go by Greyhound about 2 hrs trip.

In SF, the most places I would like to visit is Golden Gate and the famous prison, is there any tour to go there or I need to go by myself. If there is, has anyone tried it b4 then give me more comments ?

The prison island is call The Alcaltraz. Need to buy tickets to visit, can go from Fisherman Wharf on a ferry.

If you are going to Sausalito to visit the nude beach, you'll be crossing the Golden Gate; there are some very nice parks there.

Thanks for your information about nude beach :yuk: will report to you after I come back ... if I can go nearer 1 km with clothes on :hat:

Now, I just remember and found that why I forgot about Hollywood which is also in Cali state. Is it worth to go there to see the studio and celebrities ? Near LA ? Is there any tour ?

Dont bother to visit the studios, you'll be only shown some stage sets and filming studios etc......and dont expect to bump into any celebrities there.......and dont bother the Beverly Hills Tour too......only drive pass briefly....... and intro like - oh, Jack Nicholson lives over there; Michael Douglas lives down this road; Cameron Diaz lives behind there(who knows)...etc etc.

The chance to bump into celebrities in town is better, in prime shopping areas. Go to the Chinese Theatre in LA.....if you are lucky, may witness some premeire openings or famous movie star imprinting handprints in the broadwalk.

Thanks Cock,

Your information is very useful :thumb:

I am still reading and searching about the trip. Done with NYC, Washington DC and may be Boston in East Coast Side.

Now I am focusing on West Coast Side.

It seems SF is the most interesting city and possible will be the last city before returing to Singapore. Good :rolleyes:

I am happy to hear about the public transportation in LA that it is possible ... I don't mind to walk, used to walk from 10 am till 8 pm in many countries ... considering as practising :clap:

If San Diego is not a good option, do you have any suggestion ? I heard many people choose LA or LV before going to Hawaii ... have you been there done that as well ?

Reading about Las Vegas, some people took tour to Ghost Town or Death Valley and they say it is very scary and real. Have you been in such tour ? :B)

Have you take the helicopter tour over Grand Canyon ? Have you been in Cirque du Soleil ? How is it ?

Thanks again for your information. ;)

================

I am still reading and searching about the trip. Done with NYC, Washington DC and may be Boston in East Coast Side.

Now I am focusing on West Coast Side.

When in NY, try to watch a musical on Broadway, queue for one of those last-minute ticket, its not expensive. Spend at least one whole evening in Times Square and feel the city at night.

Visit Naigara Fall if you have time.

Washington DC - its just the Capitol and the WhiteHouse and some beautiful parks - what else are you seeking there?

What are you looking in Boston, Chicago? Not been there but doesnt appeal to me.

Maybe others who had been there can give some tips.

If San Diego is not a good option, do you have any suggestion ? I heard many people choose LA or LV before going to Hawaii ... have you been there done that as well ?

LV is just lots and lots of neon lights, casinoes, shopping centres, cabarets, hotels......our new IRs combined only a small little fraction of LV. At any one time, there are always a few world class artiste performing there, if you are keen to watch.

Well, you can visit the casino and try your luck, who knows, you might win yourself a free trip

Spend some time in Hawaii, its beautiful there in summer - full of hunks - whites, blacks, locals, asian, hispanics etc on the beach all day.

Funny thing is, you see most of them wears beach shorts or surfing tights and hardly see anyone wearing speedo.

But still eye candies all round.

Oh yes, there are some nudist beaches in the outer islands.

Reading about Las Vegas, some people took tour to Ghost Town or Death Valley and they say it is very scary and real. Have you been in such tour ? :B)

Have you take the helicopter tour over Grand Canyon ? Have you been in Cirque du Soleil ? How is it ?

I think there are helicopter and also light plane flying tour over the Grand Canyon but they are expensive.

Hope you plan your 3 weeks well and have a great time there; and don't forget to party.

Thanks Cock :clap:

Yes, definitely I will watch Musical in Boadway, it is one of reason to be in NYC. I used to queue in Austria to get the cheap ticket (only 5Euro), hope they have good discount price here also. Do you know how much for last-minute queuing ticket ?

Do they only have 1 show or many shows at same time ?

Another yes, I will be in Times Square for at least one night. For me, it is best best place for Count Down as Syney Opera House is the best place to see Fire Works ... :clap:

Now, I am planning to go to Naigara Falls but I don't know if I should go from NYC or Washington DC. Searching from internet, they only say from NYC by bus (8 hours) or by flight. Boston is only 2 hour from NYC and it is only suggestion from my friend so I can decide it later. It is not a must to me.

As you say, I go to Washington DC is just for that only, it is true that's why I plan to stay there only 1 night 2 days ... ;)

For East Coast Side, do you think this route is OK ? NYC - Naigara - Washington DC then flight to West Coast Side ...

I will pass San Diego, not much interested in Mexican border, I don't want to be kidnapped so will replace it by Hawaii :whistle:

Can you give me more information about Hawaii ? Nude beach :whistle: .. clubs, bars, ... accommodation, is it very expensive there like resorts ?

Is it Ok to flight to Hawaii from LA ?

How about this route ?

LV - LA - Hawaii - SF

Waiting for your information ;)

================

Hello Castway,

I am from San Francisco and live in the States for over 20 years and glad to offer you some suggestions.

Indeed timing it is kind of tight to visit all the cities. You probably want to spend at least 3 nights (or at least two) in each city to it makes it worthwhile getting there. If you want to visit East Coast first then NYC is a must visit destination. Washington DC has a lot of history but it is conservative there. Boston could be a nice place to visit (2 - 3 nights) and you could go to Provence Town and spend two nights there. Provence Town (P-Town) is very gay during summer and it is a pretty little town with a lot of charms (they do not allow chain stores open there so no fast food restaurant like McDonald's). You must book way in advance if you wanted to go to P-town. You could either take a bus or ferry to get there from Boston.

A few things about each city in the West Coast:

San Diego is close to the Mexico border so it is the all the way South in California. Hillcrest is the gay district and the clubs are kind of spread out but in walking distance. There isn't much there in San Diego to see except the Zoo and going to nude beach to have sex. It is gay but not that gay. I remember a gay couple from SF told me someone shouted out from a car saw them holding hands in Hillcrest. So it means there are conservative people live there.

Los Angeles: a very big city that requires a lot of driving. Traffic is terrible. If you don't rent a car and depends on public transportation then stay in West Hollywood where most gay bars, clubs and sauna are located. If you wanted to go to Disney Land then keep in mind it is not in Los Angeles, it is in Anaheim. I was in L.A. three years ago and stayed at St. Vicente Inn. It is a hotel/sauna/apartment in the heart of WeHo (West Hollywood). The rooms are small and quite expensive. You could get a day pass to go in for sex though. There is a nice swimming pool there and of course, nudity is allowed. There is a Ramada Plaza Hotel that is very close to all the gay establishments. Drop by Abbey's for lunch and you would see a lot of attractive/stylish people there (well, pretentious too, it's LA).

As for San Francisco, I can tell you there is no place like it (not being bias). Not NYC, Chicago or LA. Please keep in mind all the gay districts in these cities are not as concentrate like the Castro in SF. Castro district is a small little gay town itself and make you could feel completely at home for 90% + of the people there are gay. The district is more than a few blocks of streets. No one would bleak their eyes if they saw two men holding hands and french kissing on the street. There are several dozen gay businesses there including a few bed and breakfast inns, 40+ restaurants and bars and 30+ gay shops. You could catch a movie at the Castro theater which is historical and beautiful, have a cup of coffee in the patio of Cafe Flore' (to see and be seen), have a dish of Pad Thai noodles at Thai House Express Restaurant (About $ 8 - 10 US per meal) and dancing in Badlands (a lot of Asians there, Friday happy hour till 8pm has two for one drinks).

Another district which is also gay in SF is SOMA (South of Market). The bars and clubs (leather, bear, SM, Levis, circuits) are more spread out and it is about 15 minutes by Street Cars or Bus from the Castro.

Depending on what you want, SF offers the most because it is a small city, only 7 miles by 7 miles, very scenic (there are seven hills and SF is a peninsula surround by water) . You could explore the city by foot by getting a three day fast pass that takes you everywhere with public transportation. You could visit other places close by like Napa Valley for wine tasting, get on a bus and go to Sausalito for lunch, spend a whole day in Golden Gate Park and checking out its DeYoung Museum.

Please feel free to visit my website www.sfgam.com and find out more travel information about SF under the City Guide Section. I created this website for GAMs around the world who wants to travel to SF. It is all free and no gimmick.

I will write a few more articles about traveling in SF with a budget in mind (best place to get budget meals and where to stay) and post it on the website in a month or two. Please feel free to check back later.

A couple website that you would find useful:

Google Map (www.google.com and choose map on top) - very useful to find location and distance even offer street views (Google actually have cars drive all over the U.S. and video tape all the streets so it's like you are there in person). Just type in the address(es) and it would show you the distance and time to get from one location to another (even city to city).

Yelp.com - this is a user opinion website (U.S. only). Type in the name of the business (hotel, restaurant, bars, etc.) and you will find reviews from users. This is the best way to judge a business, by customers who used it before.

OK, I think I wrote enough and hopefully you find the information somewhat helpful. Good luck!

Edited by sfgam

sfgam

Hi SFGAM, :thumb:

Thank you so much for your very detailed information about the SF and other cities as well. I already checked out your website and will read it again before going there.

I plan to spend more time in big cities such as NYC, SF like 4-5 days/each, 3-4 days in LA and Hawaii/each, 2 days/each in Washington DC and LV (including Grand Canyon) and only 1 day in Naigara Falls ... now you are giving me "headache" of not visiting Boston and P-Town :whistle: which I am very curious now, anyway, my friend tell me that it is only 2 hour drive to Boston from NY so may be I can decide it when I arrive there ...

No more San Diego so plssssssss don't tell me about the nude beach overthere, it is so seductive trip to me :P

But I would like you to share more information about the nude beach in SF and Hawaii :D ... of course, if it is convenient and possible for you ;)

Is it allowed to have sex on the beach in States ? I read on internet, everybody say that sex in publicity is not permitted :(

Will be put in jail if the police catch ? :unsure:

I don't think I will go to Disney Land :whistle: I am expired before the ticket :blink: ... so I will try to book the hostel in West Hollywood , noted ... but is it possible and convenient to visit other places by public transportation ?

Yes, I know San Francisco is the biggest gay capital in States, may be in the world ... so hope to discover it as much as I can :D

But I do want to take a wine tour, any recommendation tour and do you know how much does it cost ?

Do you think it is good idea if I go to SF in 4th July ? I guess there will be many many parties that time but don't know if it is good for tourists like expensive, hotel, ... :)

Have a lovely day !!!

================

Hello Castaway,

Glad you find the info helpful.

More info: If you do come to SF try to stay during SF pride week: http://www.sfpride.org/

This year it is on June 27th (Sat) and June 28th (Sun).

You might want to arrive a few days early and leave on Monday. This is the biggest gay event in the States (or in the world?) for there will be half a million people there to celebrate Gay Pride with you. How's that? I made a video of it and you can watch it here: http://www.sfgam.com/video-gallery/videodirectlink-7.html

But you must book your hotel very quickly to ensure you get a room.

One hotel I could recommend you is a place called Grant Plaza http://www.grantplaza.com/. It is a budget hotel and located in Chinatown. You could find the review on www.yelp.com. Remember, there always be someone who complain about everything. The reason I recommend this hotel to you is because its price and location:

It is walking distance to downtown - 5 - 10 minutes. You could catch a streetcar in downtown to go to Castro (15 mins) and many other locations in SF.

Walking distant to North Beach (Italian town, right next to Chinatown) or even Fisherman's Wharfs (20 - 30 minutes).

Catch the cable car to go to different areas (one block from the hotel)

A lot of budget restaurants (Chinese, Vietnamese) to fill your tummy ($5 - $8 USD). Or even get a Vietnamese sandwich ($ 3) to bring with you when you out and about (Bring you own bottle water, water in SF is the highest quality in the US. and very drinkable). This way you could save a lot of money if you wanted to.

Comparing to Asia, a meal in the SF easily cost $ 8 - 10 USD so if you were on a budget, to have your breakfast or lunch in China Town is a good deal. In the Castro, meals easy cost $ 10 - $20 for non-Asian meal.

As for nude beach, there is one in SF (close to Golden Gate Bridge) and I will post the information on the site later. It is not legal to have sex on the beach but people usually do it behind the rocks. There ain't many police patrol on the beach so you should not worry too much about it.

Sex wise, there are different places you can find it. Video book store booths, sex cinemas, there are only two sex clubs (Eros and Power Exchange) left in SF and the two largest Saunas are in San Jose (Water Garden) and Berkeley (Steamworks). They are both very nice but you need to travel.

There is this website: www.craigslist.com (this is a U.S. site and for San Francisco go to http://sfbay.craigslist.org/ ) which is very popular for gay men to post ads for sex. Go to personal/men seeking men and you would find a lot of sex ads there. Again, PLEASE play safe. The STD rates are going up in the City. Try to use protection even with oral sex (I know, a lot of people don't like it) for sypillus is number one STD besides others like HIV and herpes (very common so watch out). You probably could find sex in every single city with this site for it is very popular in the States.

As for Hawaii, Oahu is the big island but there is limited gay life there. I think there are only a couple of gay bars there and the gay scene is not so vibrant. But, it is a nice place to go for it is very relaxing and there is no place like it. I am sure where there are gays, there is sex on the beach. It is just a matter of finding it.

Napa wine tour is available and I will post that information later on the site as well.

OK, hope the info help you and I will post more travel info on my site later. I will do articles on: How to travel in SF with a tight budget and Cheap eats and accommodation in SF.

Ciao!

Edited by sfgam

sfgam

Grazie mille :D SFGAM

BRAVO !!! :clap:

Your information is not only helpful but GREAT ...

I always hope and pray there will a Gay Pride in one of those cities I will be travelling this Summer because I have never joined any Gay Pride before :ph34r: ... finally you told me in San Francisco, oh my god, so perfect.

I checked the website, it is not only half million suckable dicks but was 1.2 mil last year :whistle: , unbelieveable ... how can I finish in 2 days :yuk: must be one week :twisted:

I will be there for sure but headache now, just wonder if SF will be the last city before returning to Singapore or another city like LA because I would like to see how American celebrate National Day which is 4th July, not so far ... then also worry about the security during that time .. yeah, it is America :whistle:

Thanks alot for the hotel information, I will note that if some friends can join me but by myself, it is over my budget.

Could you advise these 2 hostels if they are near the Grant Plaza or Castro, or convenient place ?

HI - San Francisco, City Center

685 Ellis Street

San Francisco CA 94109

Tel. +1 415 474 5721

and

HI - San Francisco, Downtown

312 Mason St Union Square

San Francisco CA 94102

Tel. +1 415 788 5604

Thanks also for the information of sex dating, it is really important and for sure, I will play safe :) never think that American has such high rate STD. Just wonder why guys post the ads so strange, not like through gaydar or gayromeo :yuk:

I wish I would go with someone special to Hawaii, for me it is paradise to be with someone ;) but if not, then looking at hunks and sexy guys there are enough :whistle: ... to relax after few days of Gay Pride in SF :P .. So Honolulu is not the place/island you suggest ? I thought I will arrive only at Honolulu .. is it possible ?

I will check your website more later :thumb: but already downloaded some clips ... :smokin:

Through Google Map, I found that NYC is in the middle of Boston and Washington DC. In my mind, Boston is very very near to NYC because my friend told me only 2 hours drive ... then in this way, I guess I only can choose one. :unsure: but is it possible to go to 2 cities ?

Then I was so scared when seeing another Washington near SF which has Seattle ... I guess it is States, not Washington DC city :unsure:

I hope what I ask people here will not be only useful for me but also for others will be travelling to States later ...

And thanks again for your very helpful information, SFGAM :thumb:

Ciao, a presto :clap:

================

Yes, Cock, I know I am so lucky to have many people here replying my topic ...

It is very useful for my planning. And for sure, I will report everything when I am back and safe in Singapore :whistle:

Again, thanks all you guys and keep advising me :thumb:

:D

================

Yes, Cock, I know I am so lucky to have many people here replying my topic ...

It is very useful for my planning. And for sure, I will report everything when I am back and safe in Singapore :whistle:

Again, thanks all you guys and keep advising me :thumb:

================

R u avid backpacker? All the info is actually in guide book like LP and RGuide. Sometimes, juz going wif the flows and expecting the unexpected things are part and parcel of backpacking !

Hey Castaway,

The only hostel that is close to Chinatown is this one:

Pacific Tradewinds Hostel ‎

680 Sacramento Street

San Francisco, CA 94111

(415) 433-7970

My cousin stayed there last August and I got a chance to see how that's like. It is quite crowd and you would share a room with 4 -6 people with bunk beds. The clients are mostly Caucasians straights college students (male and female) in their 20's. I can tell some of them are European. This hostel is located at the very edge of Chinatown and about five blocks from Grant Plaza. It is clean and you share bathrooms with others. The rate is reasonable though so if you want to watch the budget. It is not a bad choice.

As for the two hostels that you posted:

San Francisco, City Center

685 Ellis Street

San Francisco CA 94109

This is located the edge of Tenderloin district in 'Little Saigon' so it is the Vietnamese town. Before the Vietnamese moved in this district, African American (it is politically incorrect to call them Black people any more) occupied this area and it is not a very clean and safe area at night (70% AF and 30% Vietnamese). During the day, there are about a dozen of Vietnamese and Chinese restaurants offers cheap eats so it is quite safe under broad day light. I do not feel safe walking around there myself especially late night though.

San Francisco, Downtown

312 Mason St Union Square

San Francisco CA 94102

This is located closely to Union Square and you would find all the department stores, shops and restaurant in this area. Very convenient location and also close to Tenderloin district (only a few blocks). As long as you stay away from the Tenderloin you are fine.

There are a few Thai restaurants around there where you can get a reasonable meal ($8 - $10 including tax and tips). One Chinese restaurant - B&M Mei Sing Restaurant on 62 2nd St (10 minutes walk from this hostel), you could get a rice plate for $6 including tax (no tips necessary) and all the tea that you can drink).

You also have the option of walking to Chinatown (15 minutes) to get your budget meals. You will find all the fast food restaurants around there as well.

This place is two and a half blocks to the Apple Store so you can check your email for free! Walking to take Street cars or buses to Castro only takes five minutes. Also, I found the ranking of the reviews of this place is also quite high; http://www.hostels.com/Reviews/HI-San-Fran...on-Square)/4549. If I were you I would stay at this place.

Adelaide Hostel and Hotel, San Francisco, USA

5 Isadora Duncan, (@ Post & Taylor)

CA 94102, San Francisco

This one is not bad as well. Only one block away from 312 Mason. If 312 Mason is all booked then this is your second choice.

About 4th of July in the U.S., I can't say much about LA cause I haven't spend it there before. The tradition for this celebration in the U.S. is BBQ. Families usually stay home and grill hot dogs and hamburgers but there will be fireworks in all major cities.

Boston and NY is about 4 hrs driving time and if you took Grey Hound bus then it would take longer for it has stops along the way. Yeah, I think these two cities are good choices because they are not that far from each other. If you tried to avoid flying to save money then it would make sense to go to these two places. Oh, by the way, there isn't much to do/see around Niagara Falls. The fall is not as spectacular as it used to be because high rises had been built and they block the wind so the mist is not as much any more. Besides, there isn't much in Buffalo City any way, that I know for sure.

OK, hope the info helps you to make your decision. Oh, one more thing, be sure to go to Club Dragon on Friday night before the Pride. It only happens on Friday and it is the last Gay Asia Dance Club left. N'touch, the full time Asian Gay Club was closed down on New Years Eve 2008.

I enjoy helping you to find the info for I will be writing articles on SF travel later. Now I have some info on hands and got an early start!

Have fun planning :)

Edited by sfgam

sfgam

Just remember something about Las Vegas. There is a one and only gay resort there called Blue Moon Resort. It is a little bit out of the way and not on the main drag. You need to take a taxi there and they allow day use. Plenty of sex there.... You shouldn't be disappointed if you were into Caucasian men (mostly 30's and up though) ...

Go to http://www.funmaps.com/ and http://www.guidemag.com/index.cfm for travel info in other cities. They are also on my site's link page (at the bottom)- http://www.sfgam.com/city-guide/links.html

Now you will have plenty of info to plan your trip!!!

sfgam

Dear SFGAM, :thumb:

I have not read your information so carefully but I need to write this first :"THANK YOU SO MUCH for your helpful information and enthusiasm".

I guess people would scold me if I ask you further questions :whistle: but with your information, I think I can plan my trip very well ... hope the other people also find it same as me :clap:

Definitely, I will go to Dragon Club on Friday Night :thumb:

Thanks for your detailed information about the hostels, I will avoid the hostel which is not safe at night ... yes, I used to share the Dom (4, 6, 10, 20, 40 people) with many straight people in Europe or over the world and it is very fun to me, I like it and don't mind that :rolleyes:

Hi Alex10,

Actually I am not the real "backpacker" as you imagine or like the guy in movie "Into the Wild", ... I read LP sometimes but really don't like it, I often search on internet forums :B) it is more real than LP :smokin:

When I travel alone in budget, I try to stay in hostels, use budget airlines (booking early), walking as much as I can, not buying tour, not eating in Restaurant everyday but can spend a certain amount of money in local traditional food once in a while :whistle:

Again, thanks SFGAM and others for giving me such useful information :)

I will check your website to have updated.

Have a nice weekend !!! :D

================

Edited by castaway

Castaway, you are welcome, anytime.

I like your questions so don't worry about it.

It is good to know what concerns GAM travelers from Asia like yourself so that I know what info to put in the budget SF articles (got 1/3 or 1/4 done, I guess).

If you had more questions, just post them. Enjoy your weekend :)

sfgam

Hi SFGAM,

I checked out the link you advise http://www.funmaps.com/ ... I like this type of website, especially the Attraction, it tells me about the places I must do, have picture and general information about it ... I like it :thumb:

There is another link I often check out, this is like a forum and I find it very helpful as well, hope everybody here can find some information about it ...

http://www.virtualtourist.com/

Have a lovely Sunday !!!

================

Hi SFGAM and others, :rolleyes:

I already had my ticket from SIN - SF but still in waiting list from NYC - SIN :( ...

Now, I start booking some budget airlines and hostel. I just check the flight from SF to Honolulu, it is around 380 U$ for 1 way by Hawaiian Airlines, it sounds expensive to me, not budget at all. Is it consider cheap or normal price in States ? :swear:

Do you know any airlines having route as abobe ?

I read on internet, they say from LA is cheaper but I just don't want to go that route.

Mine is SF - Hawaii - LA :whistle:

================

Hi Castaway,

Please go to www.cheaptickets.com and www.expedia.com and input your dates and destinations and the search engine would come up with the results (for LA airport use LAX as the airport code).

The results would include different airlines and prices for their search engine connects with all major airlines.

You could go directly to Hawaii Airlines - www.hawaiianair.com and check the prices.

Prices varies depending on the season (Hi or Low) and summer time is vacation time so it would not be cheap.

The thing is that those prices are for American who pay in the U.S. (with credit cards) and not for oversea travelers.

Anyhow, you would get a general idea how much the airfares should cost.

Hope this helps :)

Edited by sfgam

sfgam

Hello SFGAM,

Thanks for your advice and information :thumb:

I searched on internet and found a website which is very very much helpful for planning the budget airlines tickets :clap:

even better than www.cheaptickets.com and www.expedia.com

Everybody can try this one : http://www.kayak.com/

Through this website, I even know which airlines will charge for the lugguage, which one is Free for 1st bag. They have very good and clear comparison. :clap:

I already purchased almost all my domestic flights through this website and I decided not travelling to Hawaii this time.

Yes, you are right, June/July is Summer season so it should be expensive :swear:

Because of not going to Hawaii, so I will go to Long Beach instead when I am travelling to Los Angeles. :yuk:

There is Grey Hound bus from LA to Long Beach but do you know is there any other bus company or like metro or shuttle service between these 2 cities ? In case Grey Hound has limited schedule ... :P

I am thinking of adding Philadelphia into my schedule from NYC to Washington, because it is on the way. Do you think is it good idea ? Is there anything I can do in Phila ? ;)

================

Hi all,

I am searching for the tour in Las Vegas to Grand Canyon and found many companies.

Could you advise me which one has good quality and itinerary ?

http://www.looktours.com/bus1.html

http://www.grandtourslv.com/srim.html

http://www.coachamerica.com/graylinelasvegas/tours.cfm

http://www.sightseeingtourslv.com/bustours.html

Thanks in advance.

================

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there Castaway,

Haven't log on for a week.....

About Philadelphia, I haven't been there before but looked up Guide Magazine and here is what I found:

http://www.guidemag.com/travel/invoketrave...D8E0050DA7E046B

It looks like there are some actions in that city. Use Google map to map out the distant between the clubs so that you would know how much traveling within the city is required.

For sure there is a lot of histories in Philadelphia for it is one of the oldest cities in U.S..

If you had the time then stop and spend a nite or two there so you get to brag about being in Philadelphia before (who knows when you would travel to East Coast again? And specifically for Philadelphia? ) :)

As for Vegas, try to book at least one of the Cirque de soliel shows. Yes, they are expensive ($75.90+) but you could only see this kind of show in Vegas. The stages are incredible and the best performers show off their skills there. If you were interested, there are three to consider:

KA (rotating stage, this is where Arron Kwok got his idea for his 360 degree stage in his concert last year).

'O' (Grand, most expensive stage ever built)

Zumanity (Sexy and sensuous, man/woman, woman/woman, man/man, transvestites, who cares? not Grand but very seductive....and intimate)

Not sure about the tour to Grand Canyon; but by judging the prices and choices; it seems like Look Tours should not be a bad choice. However, they do have a fuel surcharge of $5 per tour.

If you were on a budget, then book the $80 tour http://www.looktours.com/bus1.html and bring your own water and food/snap/music. This way would make your trip much more comfortable. If you don't mind paying more then look trough the website.

Another company you could consider is 'Grey LIne'. It is the largest company among all of them and their tours are tend to be more expensive. They also do not offer any meals in tour so it would be better to bring your own food.

Coach America and Sightseeing Tour should be the smaller scale companies. Personally I would go for larger companies so there are certain standards they meet in terms of safety and customer service.

Grey Hound has the largest bus network in the U.S. so it is easy to use them. I don't know other local bus line, you might try google search.

Cheers,

Edited by sfgam

sfgam

Hello SFGAM, :)

Thanks so much for your information ... :thumb:

I already bought almost all my domestic flights in USA. It seems that I will spend there 4 weeks instead of 3 weeks as planned so I will have more time to travel and of course, more cities to discover :rolleyes:

There are 2 questions I would like to ask you and everybody here :

- Accommodation in New York :

I found many budget hostels, quite good price and conditions but it is in West Side of New York or on Broadway street, left side of the Central Park. From the google map, it is quite far (don't know if it is safe also) from Time Square if I use Time Square is centre point. May I consider Time Square is centre Point of NYC ?

And almost all gay bars/clubs in Manhattan and Time Square areas. So I guess it is not good and safe if I go back late after midnight. Is it correct ?

Do you think it is good/safe if I stay in Chelsea area , like 8th Avenue ? From map, it is nearer Time Square. But don't know if it is good idea. Pls advise me.

Found some good hostels in Time Square areas but price is over my budget (around 50 U$) but anyway, I will post the address here later for anybody want to stay there in future.

- From the beginning, I planned to go to Washington DC because I do want to White House Tour, Pentagon, Capitol ... but through internet, found that it is not easy to join such tours ... need to do alot of things ... such as :

White House Tours

Public tours of the White House are available for groups of 10 or more people. Requests must be submitted through one's Member of Congress and are accepted up to six months in advance. These self-guided tours are available from 7:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday (excluding federal holidays), and are scheduled on a first come, first served basis approximately one month in advance of the requested date. We encourage you to submit your request as early as possible since a limited number of tours are available. All White House tours are free of charge. For the most current tour information, please call the 24-hour line at 202-456-7041. Please note that White House tours may be subject to last minute cancellation.

So I am confused now if I should go there ... anybody here tried it before ?

But sure, I will go to Philadelphia ...

Thanks everybody .... and SFGAM again ... :thumb:

Hi all,

As promissed, I list down here some hostels around Time Square areas which I found through internet. All of them are around 49 USD/person/bed in dorm.

http://www.timessquarebeds.com/

http://www.timessquaredreamhostel.com/

These below 2 has better price in off peak season (only around 33 USD) and I guess the service is ok because I sent them email yesterday asking about the price difference and also discount :whistle: and they are very nice to reply me instantly ...

http://timessquarecomforthostel.com/home

http://www.timessquarenewhostel.com/

BUT I am still waiting for your advice from Chelsea area (near Korean town) and West Side and Upper West (near Broadway blv, next to Central Park, other side of Time Square). Through google map, it seems Chelsea in nearer to Time Square and also bars/clubs but don't know if it is safe, convenient place to stay. As you know, after clubbing is around 2-3 am then taking a MRT at night in NYC is it safe ?

Hi Castaway

There are a few gay friendly hotels in Chelsea area. Most popular is the Chelsea Youth hostel. Times Square is packed with tourists typically but venture one block west of 8th Ave and hit Hell's Kitchen. There is a growing gay scene here given the closeness to the theatre district. It all depends on what you want to do but the majority of the gay scene will be always in Chelsea.

From Chelsea to Times Square is pretty close- just 2 subway stops (23rd Street to 42nd Street) or about 20 minutes walk. It is a very safe neighbourhood considering that I have been living in here for over 8 years. Also Chelsea is right by the West Village, which also has its share of gay hangouts -albeit tend to be older crowd, and the trendy Meatpacking District.

After clubbing, at that hour, it is safe to take the trains, but they are very slow and not as frequent. Most people just cab home.

Also truth be told, after Roxy closed, there aren't really any major dance spaces in NYC any more. Mostly are the bar/clubs like Splash, The Ritz, Xes etc. very small dance floor.

Hope this helps. Contact me if you need more info.

Edited by chelseasian

Love. 

Hello Chelseasian,

Thanks alot for your information. :thumb:

After reading your post and searching many websites (especially yelp.com, very good reviews) , I decided to book my accommodation in New York at Chelsea International Hostel (251 West 20th Street) with 28 U$ + 4 U$ (tax) = 32 U$ :B) .

It is said that this hostel is very near to Gay Area in NYC (similar Castro in SF) with a Police Office nearby, safest place in NYC. :rolleyes:

I was alittle bit irresolute between above mentioned hostel and Chelsea Star Hotel (300 West 30th Street, NY 10001) @ 30 U$ + 4 U$. The Star Hotel has a better review (bigger room, cleaner, more friendly) and nearer to Time Square but bad comments on the noise, no locker (pay more 5 U$ for safety box). But anyway, I am happy with the Hostel (has big locker, free pizza on Wed night, dont know if it is true) :rolleyes:

After searching and reading alot alot really ... I discover many new things and want to share with everybody ... Apart from Grey Hound, there is another bus called Megabus (megabus.com) which has a very good offer if book early through internet. Good review on yelp also.

I checked its website, from NYC to Philadelphia is only 1 U$ :clap: but when I try to book then it shows not the schedule I want ... very unlogic website ... so I don't know if any of you here tried to book it before, pls kindly help to advise me ? Btw, I already sent email to the bus operator and ask them about it, hope they will reply soon so I can finally finish my all booking.

There is another bus operator from Washington DC to NYC called dc2ny.com for your reference.

Hello Chelsea again,

What is the most popular gay club/disco in Chelsea ?

I will be there in July so I hope it will be very crowded and actions also :thumb:

May be the most exciting of the trip is preparation :D because I am very excited now ...

Well, to be honest most gays will head out to Fire Island during the weekends during summer here or escape the city in general to upstate given that the heat can be oppressive.

As for popular places depending on what your scene is:

Gym Bar is a gay sorts bar. The crowd tend to be more laid back, and not too concerned with their looks. They are there for a good time in general and the place gets packed.

G Bar is the epitome of the Chelsea boy hangout. Everyone looks like Tarzan but sounds like Jane the moment they open their mouths. Crowd tends to be younger (20 somethings) and a lot of Bridge and Tunnel.

Rawhide: Scary looking bar, and seedy but hot go go boys.

Xes; Fun and laid back crowd. No attitude.

Splash- dance club with 2 bars on 2 floors.

Those are just a few of the bars in the hood. But every night somewhere in the city there definitely are places with predominantly gay crowd- i.e. Tuesday nights at Beige at B Bar tends to be filled with models and modelizers.

It all depends on what your scene is.

Love. 

Thanks for sharing information, Chelseasian :thumb:

It is really funny when you wrote about Tarzan and Jane ... will try not laughing there if I have a chance to experience it :rolleyes:

Where is Fire Island ? :unsure:

It is sad that all guys escaping that city in Summer :( ... but I can understand ...

anyway, still have many tourists as me coming :D

I read on internet, ppl advise should go to visit Brooklyn as well, may be one day, don't know if there is any interesting place there ... can I take the MRT or any bus from Chelsea going there ? I see it is like another island nearby NYC.

I am done with my accommodation, now trying to book the bus ticket from NYC - Philly to get 1 U$ ticket ... then I finish with transportation ... I called them but they can't help ... a lady answered with helpless information ...

Also there are many bus companies running from NYC - Philly or Washington DC ... another one is BOLTbus .... for your reference ... Grey Hound is no more my choice ... so expensive ...

Do you have any experience or information about Boston ? I will spend 2 nights there so hope to discover somethings, ... it seems many people like that city ...

Hi SFGAM,

I read on internet, ppl say it is better to take night tour to Alcaltraz than day tour. More scary ? Is it true ?

Also they advise to rent a bike to go over Golden Gate Bridge, do you think it is nice or I can walk also :D .. trying to save cost ...

Thanks everybody and have a lovely day !!!

Fire Island is this beach place that most gays will head out to every summer. It takes about 2 hours to get there from the city by train, taxi and ferry.

The gay area is mainly The Pines, and to some degree Cherry Grove. The Pines is like Chelsea and Cherry Grove is the West Village. CG has more restaurants and bars and also a lot of lesbians. The Pines tend to be more gay. Most people have house shares that the reserved months ahead and it can be pretty fun depending on what you are looking for. There's definitely lots of action since most guys there tend to hang out in their swimsuits and nothing else given the beach context.

Not the best beach in the world but definitely gay and clothing optional depending on who you ask.

Brooklyn has interesting neighbourhoods and is accessible by the subways. Williamsburg is the hot and trendy area, so is Park Slope (Susan Sarandon lives there) and Carroll Garden I guess.

If you want to get to Philly you can also take the train from NYC Penn. it's quite an interesting ride but costs around $70 but you get there in about 1.5 hours.

For buses there is the Chinatown bus. Not sure which one goes to Philly but I am sure they do. You may have to go to the bus depot in Chinatown directly to find out.

Love. 

Thanks for sharing information, Chelseasian :thumb:

It is really funny when you wrote about Tarzan and Jane ... will try not laughing there if I have a chance to experience it :rolleyes:

Where is Fire Island ? :unsure:

It is sad that all guys escaping that city in Summer :( ... but I can understand ...

anyway, still have many tourists as me coming :D

I read on internet, ppl advise should go to visit Brooklyn as well, may be one day, don't know if there is any interesting place there ... can I take the MRT or any bus from Chelsea going there ? I see it is like another island nearby NYC.

I am done with my accommodation, now trying to book the bus ticket from NYC - Philly to get 1 U$ ticket ... then I finish with transportation ... I called them but they can't help ... a lady answered with helpless information ...

Also there are many bus companies running from NYC - Philly or Washington DC ... another one is BOLTbus .... for your reference ... Grey Hound is no more my choice ... so expensive ...

Do you have any experience or information about Boston ? I will spend 2 nights there so hope to discover somethings, ... it seems many people like that city ...

Hi SFGAM,

I read on internet, ppl say it is better to take night tour to Alcaltraz than day tour. More scary ? Is it true ?

Also they advise to rent a bike to go over Golden Gate Bridge, do you think it is nice or I can walk also :D .. trying to save cost ...

Thanks everybody and have a lovely day !!!

Hello Castaway,

I only been to Alcaltraz once during the day when I was playing tourist with a visitor :)

Indeed it is a freaky place and this is a rare chance for a regular person to get into a prison cell and stand behind the bars.

There are many famous ghost stories about Alcaltraz (even on Discovery Channel) so if you had the chance to visit at night, go for it!

As for biking over GGB, I would think it would take you at least 30 - 45+ minutes to get there (from where you pick up the bike, which most probably in Fisherman's Wharf).

It could take you another 20+ minutes to get across the bridge and visit Sausalito. Keep in mind you have to bike uphill on to the bridge and back. Unless you are used to biking, it could be a 3 - 4 hours bike ride including resting.

If you decided to walk, then take the bus to GGB and walk to Sausalito. It would take you about 30+ minutes and you could save a lot of energy this way.

However, you still have to walk uphill to get back to GGB.

If you decided not to spend that much energy then take the bus to GGB (or even walking there) is a better idea. It could be a two hour walk but along the way, Marina (go check out Exploratorium) , Crissy field both have very pretty view of the bridge.

You could enjoy checking out all the shirtless runner in both area, there will be plenty of eye candies for you.

Hope this help :)

SFGAM

sfgam

Fire Island is this beach place that most gays will head out to every summer. It takes about 2 hours to get there from the city by train, taxi and ferry.

Thanks for your infor, Chelseasian ... I will try to go to Fire Island if it is possible, 2 hours is not really far, I guess, Is there any bus or public transportation to go there ?

If you want to get to Philly you can also take the train from NYC Penn. it's quite an interesting ride but costs around $70 but you get there in about 1.5 hours.

For buses there is the Chinatown bus. Not sure which one goes to Philly but I am sure they do. You may have to go to the bus depot in Chinatown directly to find out.

You are right, there are many bus operators from China Town to Philly. I already could buy a ticket from Washington DC back to NYC with 1 U$, so so cheap but from NYC to Philly, still can not due to bugs in system ... call/email them few times but they don't know how to answer ...

Hello SFGAM again :clap:

I only been to Alcaltraz once during the day when I was playing tourist with a visitor :)

Indeed it is a freaky place and this is a rare chance for a regular person to get into a prison cell and stand behind the bars.

There are many famous ghost stories about Alcaltraz (even on Discovery Channel) so if you had the chance to visit at night, go for it!

You are scarying me ... after reading this, I did not dare to go there in evening anymore :ph34r: but sure will be there ... may be morning ... I heard from somewhere that we can rent a jail uniform to wear for photos, it sounds interesting ? Hope can seduce the Warden to let me in, dont mind give him some extra ... jobs :P

As for biking over GGB, I would think it would take you at least 30 - 45+ minutes to get there (from where you pick up the bike, which most probably in Fisherman's Wharf).

It could take you another 20+ minutes to get across the bridge and visit Sausalito. Keep in mind you have to bike uphill on to the bridge and back. Unless you are used to biking, it could be a 3 - 4 hours bike ride including resting.

If you decided to walk, then take the bus to GGB and walk to Sausalito. It would take you about 30+ minutes and you could save a lot of energy this way.

However, you still have to walk uphill to get back to GGB.

If you decided not to spend that much energy then take the bus to GGB (or even walking there) is a better idea. It could be a two hour walk but along the way, Marina (go check out Exploratorium) , Crissy field both have very pretty view of the bridge.

I guess I will take the bus to GGB then walk over it, then down to the beach ...

You could enjoy checking out all the shirtless runner in both area, there will be plenty of eye candies for you.

Hope this help :)

It really helps ;) will keep my eyes open for candies :P

I found on yelp.com there is a wine tour called Napa Wine Tours - Home Sweet Home Car Service

Richmond District

San Francisco, CA 94118

(415) 221-2525

It gets very good comments but dont know how much about the tour :( ... do you have any idea, SFGAM ?

Around SF, any city or budget tour I can take, it seems I spend quite time there , just in case I have more free time :D

Just small question, as your previous advise about the accommodation in SFO, I found another hostel with better price and nearer location to Castro, it is Elements Hostel (2524 Mission Street). Is it walking distance to Castro ? Is it in safe area ?

How about the Hostel HI Downtown (312 Mason Street)? Is it walking distance to Castro also ?

Sorry if I asked too many questions here ...

Thanks for your infor, Chelseasian ... I will try to go to Fire Island if it is possible, 2 hours is not really far, I guess, Is there any bus or public transportation to go there ?

Yup- You take the Long Island Rail Road from Penn Station, then you take a minibus/taxi from Sayville to the ferry station. From there, it's about 10 minutes ride to The Pines or Cherry Grove.

I will probably be heading there myself but I am not doing a share this summer given the economy but I have friends who still do. :)

Love. 

You are scarying me ... after reading this, I did not dare to go there in evening anymore :ph34r: but sure will be there ... may be morning ... I heard from somewhere that we can rent a jail uniform to wear for photos, it sounds interesting ? Hope can seduce the Warden to let me in, dont mind give him some extra ... jobs :P

Haha, If you don't mind angmoh uncles.

Anyway, fat hope honey.

But do take note that the visit to the island is a half day trip.

It really helps ;) will keep my eyes open for candies :P

If you've got it, flaunt it babe; be the eye candy!

Who knows, you might be spotted by some Hollywood talent scout.

Yup- You take the Long Island Rail Road from Penn Station, then you take a minibus/taxi from Sayville to the ferry station. From there, it's about 10 minutes ride to The Pines or Cherry Grove.

I will probably be heading there myself but I am not doing a share this summer given the economy but I have friends who still do. :)

Thanks alot Chelseasian, great information ... wish you have nice holidays ... may be we will cross each other ;) ... If I finish all tourist things in NYC, may be will try to head there ...

Great weekend everybody :thumb:

Guest -SFGAM-

Hey Castaway,

Don't get scare off by my comments ;) I think it would be fun to go to Alcatraz at night, I didn't know it is available, otherwise I would go too. There will be a group of people there and people are everywhere. Have fun and enjoy...

Taking bus to GGB is not a bad idea, you could enjoy the view along the way and make some stops along the way. Go check out transportation under City Guide on sfgam.com. You would able to find info under Muni.

I left a message for you about the Napa Wine Tour and waiting for Home Sweet Home get back to me. It sounds like this is a one man company. I shall find out for you.

The hostel in Mission is not in a good area. I would worry if you walk back there late from the Castro. 312 Mason is about 30 min walking distant to Castro but with Street cars and underground Muni, it takes less than 15mins. 312 is centrally located in Downtown SF, walking distant to Chinatown and Cable car stations, plus tour bus stations. I would recommend you to keep your reservation.

Will get back to you about the wine tour.

By the way, I uploaded a video clip I put together, (no, I am not Bo ;) ). Feel free to check it out. More videos will be coming.

Cheers,

Scott

Guest -SFGAM-

Hi Castaway,

Home Sweet Home called back and left a message. The Napa tour is for groups. There is a driver to drive a car up there for you. Usually 3 or 4 people would use this service. Minimum expense $ 220+

I found this from wine tour yelp.com. 8 reviews with 4.5 stars. Not bad. It could be an option.

https://supersightseeing.quicksecuresite.co...2ca044f8e0852a5

There are other places that worth seeing outside of SF:

Yosemite Park - Available after April 1st. National Park. Better to spend one night there by day trip is ok.

Monterey/Carmel Tour - Add the Monterey Bay Aquarium, it's worth it. - It is one of the most scenic Pacific coast travel spot. https://supersightseeing.quicksecuresite.co...iew/category/4/

Muir Woods - If you liked nature, this is the tour https://supersightseeing.quicksecuresite.co...iew/category/2/

Cheers,

SFGAM

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.