Male HQ

AWARE Saga of 2009 (compiled)

This appeared in today's Straits Times and I copied the softcopy text from someone's post in Trevvy.

---------------------------------

April 10, 2009

Unknowns knock out veterans at Aware polls

Caught off-guard by big turnout, longtime members lose to fresh faces

By Wong Kim Hoh

SINGAPORE'S best-known women's group, the Association of Women for Action and Research (Aware), has seen a dramatic changing of the guard - which some members are describing as nothing short of a leadership grab.

When Aware held its annual general meeting on March 28, everyone expected the usual: No more than 30 or 40 members would turn up at its Dover Crescent centre, and a prepared slate of candidates would be voted into office easily.

Instead, more than 100 people came, the majority of whom had joined Aware only in recent months.

And when the election of office bearers began, almost every position was challenged by new faces, who won by wide majorities.

In the end, nine out of 12 executive committee spots went to the newcomers.

One older member who won without a contest was Mrs Claire Nazar, a former corporate counsel nominated to be president by outgoing Aware chief Constance Singam.

But barely a week into her new term, and before making her first statement as president, Mrs Nazar quit suddenly this week.

She confirmed that she had resigned, but declined to say any more when reached by The Straits Times.

It is not known who will now become president.

Longtime members took two other positions: Chew I-Jin as assistant honorary treasurer and Caris Lim Chai Leng was elected a committee member.

The election results have left longtime Aware members in shock.

Former president Tan Joo Hymn, 38, told The Straits Times the big turnout at the AGM surprised her.

'I arrived at the meeting late and found out that I was No. 100 on the attendance list. I've been a member for 10 years, and never before has there been such a turnout,' said the former lawyer who is now a full-time mother.

Another former president, writer Dana Lam, 57, said: 'There were many faces I had not seen before, and I found that very strange.

'In previous years, even if there were new members, they would be known to one or more of the older members.'

The first indication that something was afoot came when Ms Chew, an Aware veteran, was challenged and defeated handsomely by new member Charlotte Wong Hock Soon for the post of vice-president.

Ms Chew was later elected unopposed as assistant honorary treasurer.

'It was alarming,' said Ms Lam. 'How could a new member who had just joined for a couple of months, and whom we knew nothing about, be picked over someone who has been with Aware for more than 15 years?'

Some of the older members immediately began checking the attendance list.

Ms Tan said: 'We found that about 80 of the 102 who turned up were new members who joined between January and March this year.'

Aware, a feminist group that has prided itself on being 'all inclusive', has never vetted the people who apply to be members.

Men can join too, as associate members.

As it dawned on them that a leadership grab was imminent, some older members at the AGM tried asking the newcomers who they were, what they stood for, and why they wanted to be in charge.

They got only the briefest answers, they said.

Ms Lam said she tried suggesting that new members serve a stint on Aware's various sub-committees before standing for election to leadership positions.

But such suggestions went unheeded as the election proceeded, with more newcomers winning executive committee positions by landslide margins.

Ironically, the old guard at Aware had been working towards changing their Constitution to make it a rule that only those who have been members for at least a year would be eligible to join the ex-co.

There is currently no rule to bar a brand new member from seeking office, and that was what happened at the AGM.

Ms Tan said: 'We were simply outnumbered. Technically, they got in legitimately.'

She added that the way the election proceeded was so unusual, it was hard to imagine that the takeover was not a planned effort.

'It could not be pure coincidence,' she said.

But little is known of Aware's new leaders, aside from the fact that they include women from the corporate sector, lawyers, company directors and academics.

Older members said the newcomers spoke well but would not elaborate on their plans for Aware.

'When asked if they believed in equality, they kept repeating they were there to support women and to make sure they got ahead and got all the opportunities given to them,' Ms Lam said.

Older members were keen to know if the newcomers shared Aware's vision and values, including equality for all regardless of race, religion or sexuality.

But one outspoken new member from the floor, who identified herself as Angela Thiang, said questions about the new office bearers' religion and their stand on homosexuality were not relevant.

Former Nominated Member of Parliament (NMP) Braema Mathi, a two-term president of Aware, told The Straits Times that she, like many other members, was concerned.

'If you are keen to serve, you don't challenge every position. We do not know who they are,' said the former journalist who is now in Bangkok doing consultancy work for international women's group Unifem.

'It is very troubling, more so because I've heard the new president has resigned.'

Almost a fortnight into their new roles, the new leaders of Aware were not entertaining calls from the media this week.

New honorary secretary Jenica Chua Chor Ping told The Straits Times a press release would be issued 'in a few days' and added that until then, the committee would not answer any questions.

A check showed that some of those at the AGM and on the new committee have appeared in The Straits Times Forum Page.

Ms Chua, Ms Thiang and Dr Alan Chin, a male member of Aware who attended the AGM and supported the newcomers, all wrote letters to this newspaper between August and October 2007.

In a letter on Oct 17 that year, Ms Chua said NMP Siew Kum Hong had overstepped his non-partisan role and advanced the homosexual cause by tabling a petition in Parliament to repeal Section 377A of the Penal Code which criminalises homosexual sex between consenting men.

In another letter on Oct 25, she took issue with a Straits Times report which said NMP Thio Li-Ann had been 'visibly distraught' when she opposed Mr Siew's petition vigorously.

Ms Chua said Ms Thio had dealt with several points succinctly, with humour and passion.

Dr Chin and Ms Thiang both wrote letters to caution against the risks of promoting the homosexual lifestyle.

Meanwhile, news of Aware's AGM has spread among older members who did not attend the meeting, as well as civil society groups.

The most frequently-asked questions: Who are the new women in charge, why do they want the leadership, and what are their plans for Aware?

Ms Mathi said: 'The building of an institution takes many years; building its value system is even harder.

'Why can't they come in and be part of the process, and build it together and in a more evolutionary manner? That way, the comfort level will be high for everyone.'

Former newspaper editor and media consultant Peter Lim, a longtime associate member of Aware, said he was very surprised to learn what had taken place.

Asked why he thought a group of newcomers would want to take control, he said he did not know if it was an orchestrated effort.

But he thought Aware would be attractive to those seeking to be in charge of an established institution. Setting up a new outfit would take too much time and trouble.

'Aware has built up its credentials over the years and achieved more than a few things,' he said.

Three former Aware presidents - Ms Claire Chiang, Dr Kanwaljit Soin and Ms Mathi - have served as NMPs.

'Aware is a brand name and most people regard it as the leading voice of the feminists and modern women in Singapore,' said Mr Lim.

kimhoh@sph.com.sg

THE Straits Times understands that the following were elected to Aware's new committee on March 28, 2009.

President: Claire Nazar

Vice-president: Charlotte Wong Hock Soon

Honorary secretary: Jenica Chua Chor Ping

Assistant honorary secretary: Sally Ang Koon Hian

Honorary treasurer: Maureen Ong Lee Keang

Assistant honorary treasurer: Chew I-Jin

Committee member: Caris Lim Chai Leng

Committee member: Catherine Tan Ling Ghim

Committee member: Josie Lau Meng Lee

Committee member: Lois Ng

Committee member: Irene Yee Khor Quin

Committee member: Peggy Leong Pek Kay

But new president Claire Nazar has just quit her post. She confirmed this, but declined to comment further when contacted by The Straits Times.

Of the other committee members, only Ms Chew I-Jin and Ms Caris Lim are longtime members of Aware.

Ms Chew had been nominated by the Aware old guard for the vice-president's post but she was trounced by newcomer Charlotte Wong, and had to settle for the assistant treasurer's position, which she won without a contest.

The Straits Times e-mailed Aware this week requesting interviews with members of the new committee, but did not receive a reply.

The newspaper also tried contacting some of the members - Jenica Chua, Josie Lau and Lois Ng - on their mobile phones, hoping they might shed light on who they are, how they are connected to other newly elected office-bearers, or what they are planning to do now that they are in charge.

Ms Lau and Ms Ng could not be reached.

Ms Chua confirmed that she was on the new executive committee and said Aware would be releasing a press statement in 'the next few days'.

But she flatly refused to take any more questions.

The Straits Times also contacted two other new members who were at the AGM: Ms Angela Thiang, who spoke up in support of the newcomers who stood for election, and Dr Alan Chin, who helped to count the votes.

Ms Thiang said she would return the call, but did not. She could not be reached subsequently.

Dr Chin confirmed that he was an Aware member but, like the others, refused to answer any questions.

New guard: No comment, for now.

Edited by permanent-guest

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 2D4B5D

The woman's power is getting more and more powerful in recent years with the support of the Government. They are now in a position where they can climb on top of man's head and shit on them. i really hate to see the snorbish and uncaring face of the woman nowadays, really feel so lucky that I like man only therefore has less contact with them.

I strongly feel that man also need to fight for their own right, if not one day there will be no place for us to stand.

I believe the key point of the msg are the paras bolded in red. That the homosexual society may encounter a new anti-homosexual organisation which previously seems to be neutral against the homsexual society.

Well, I guess alot of things can be assumed so far, but best to wait for their open press conference before worrying for nothing.

Guest FattChoy88

Guess it's a case of sour grapes.

Lose lose lar....

Already sat there and become fat for 15 years.

People feel you not doing a good job and decide to unite and kick you out....democratically.

I wonder why the newspaper report was so biased.

I wonder why the newspaper report was so biased.

Most likely because it was really strange that something like that happened, practically unheard of.

The journalist must have felt something very wrong.

I can't help but feel there's a religious undertone to it.

Guest Janice

Let's just wait to see what kind of agenda they are rolling up. A tree is judged by its fruits. I Hope they will be sending forth a message of compassionate love, equality, hope and all inclusiveness. I hope the message will not turn out to be one of hatred, bigotry, divisiveness and discrimination against minority groups. I hope that they will stand for ALL women irregardless of their sexuality. And like most Singaporeans, I hope AWARE will not be hijacked as a platform for the propagation of any set of religious values.

Guest wuguizen

I think if Aware become overtaken by people who are unfriendly to homosexuals, then Aware will not be Aware and those people who took it over can sing their own wayang opera. Because they will be boycotted by supporters who believe in inclusiveness of homosexuals.

Guest 6559A7

Aware is a group that is fighting for woman's right, they should do only that. Homosexsuality has got nothing to do with them, they should keep out of this issue. If they dare to do something foolish, we will have to do our part. Don't wait to be killed.

Guest BeUnited

I think we better sniff something, a wake-up call.

A lesson we can learn, it seems that people who wish to stamp out homosexsuality is very united.

We gays are not, we can't even register as a society.

Imagine, a group of people who just join an organisation two, three months ago can throw out the old leadership who had for years try very hard to work for certain objectives and have some successes.

It seems that this group of persons are united for certain objectives, thought unknown now as they are not willing to talk now.

Obviously trying to get their act together.

Learn from them, be united.

Guest guest

For those of you who may not understand the seriousness of this change, do note that AWARE has been one of our best friends and strongest supporters for a long time. Yes, it is true that they primarily fight for women's rights, but they also believe in equal rights, and have been a very important voice in support of non-discrimination against gays, lesbians and the transgendered community. Some may even say that they represent the most credible voice of reason in public and parliament in representing that there are straight women out there who believe that it is wrong to discriminate against the GLBT community.

I have the greatest respect for many of the brave women leaders of AWARE who were not afraid to speak up whenever they perceive that there was unfair discrimination against any social group, including the GLBTs.

WIth the changing of the guard, we certainly have cause for concern...

Guest Janice
Aware is a group that is fighting for woman's right, they should do only that. Homosexsuality has got nothing to do with them, they should keep out of this issue. If they dare to do something foolish, we will have to do our part. Don't wait to be killed.

Yes it's true that gay issues are not top of the priority at AWARE but I beg to differ that "homosexuality has got nothing to do with them" because AWARE is a group for ALL women, and that includes lesbian ladies and transgendered women as well. That's why AWARE strives for the principle of inclusiveness, because AWARE cannot be standing up for gender equality while at the same time pushing for discrimination of non-straight women. Btw i just realized that this is a gay web page, hope you don't mind a married straight woman spouting her two cent's worth here. Just chanced upon your web page while following the developments over this freakish incident at AWARE.

How interesting and ironic, isn't it? Aware is suppose to protect women from unnecessary harm and prejudice but now they have all the political catfights and power struggle among women themselves. What is the ultimate aim of Aware? Social responsibility or hidden agendas? U take the pick.

With or without Aware, gays are still ostracised.

Guest Anal-yst

AWARE is a respected NGO. They have promoted female rights. Some of their presidents have gone on to become NMPs.

Like the show Alien, these new breed of human aliens aim of taking over AWARE is to use AWARE as a platform to further their agenda. Anti-gay/lesbian stand is a strong probability but it will now be done under the umbrella of AWARE. Next time, when gay topics comes up, expect these aliens to tell the Press that AWARE representing woman in Singapore does not support gay/lesbian causes etc etc.

Several AWARE president has also become NMPs. After Thio Li Ann, they may want to use AWARE to send another proxy to parliament via this new-AWARE.

Guest Adware

If we sniffed out any anti-gayism breeding under the AWARE new management, we should all stand united and wiped out all these new viruses and not be bullied into submission. :angry:

Guest 3DE74A
Well, 12 members, 2 old, 10 new.

Out of 10 new, 3 has written to public against homosexuality.

Count the numbers.

Like to know out of the 10 new comers, how many of them are Christian.

The following is a very good analysis of the situation posted in trevvy (source: from another website)

-----------------------------------------

Not Secular Feminists But Sectarian Fundamentalists: And They’ll Come For You Too

Editor Jolene addresses the takeover of AWARE by a group featuring prominent anti-gay activists.

Background

At the end of March, AWARE held an AGM attended by a large bloc of new members, many of whom had not previously been especially active in the organisation (according to the Straits Times, a large majority of them had only joined the organisation in the preceding 3 months). They proceeded to elect a new executive committee dominated by anti-gay activists. The new President (who has since, bizarrely, resigned), Claire Nazar, has publicly said that in her interpretation of her religion, Christianity, homosexuality is an ‘abomination’ and ‘the [result] of sin and flouting of God’s moral order’. The new honorary secretary, Jenica Chua, has previously criticised NMP Siew Kum Hong for his support for the legalisation of gay sex by referring to ‘the homosexual agenda’ and ‘the homosexual interest group’, language which originates from Christian fundamentalist movements in America.

Their supporters at the meeting included more individuals with clear connections to anti-gay Christian fundamentalist activism. Among these was Angela Thiang, who works in a company headed by infamous anti-gay Christian NMP Thio Li Ann, and who has publicly spoken in favour of Section 377A and in opposition to abortion rights. There was also Dr Alan Chin, who has used the language of American Christian fundamentalists by referring disapprovingly to ‘the gay lifestyle’.

Many of the members who voted for this new executive committee had only joined recently and were not well-known to active existing members of AWARE – suggesting that they were a new faction, rather than representing and reflecting the existing values of the group. In other words, the organisation appears to now be run not by secular feminists but by sectarian fundamentalists. It is likely that they will use it to push through a new agenda, promoting visions of gender, sexuality and women’s rights which are contrary to what AWARE previously stood for.

This has severe implications for women’s rights, LGBTQ rights, and civic society at large. Even if you consider yourself wholly indifferent to feminism or LGBTQ rights, please sit up and pay attention. They could come for you next.

Dirty Tactics

This takeover was effected by people who signed up as members of AWARE but who were not known for being particularly central or active in AWARE before (although Claire Lazar had been a committee member even prior to this AGM). In other words, people who had not participated prominently in AWARE’s existing activities, and who had values which were in opposition to AWARE’s existing values, decided they wanted to run the organisation.

Why did they do that, rather than simply forming their own organisation? This is a deeply unethical tactic. It is a group of people with one particular ethos and vision, disrupting the legitimate activities of an organisation with a different ethos and vision, and seeking to co-opt the brand name and credibility that was built up with the old ethos and vision, in order to promote something else entirely. They do not seem to consider it sufficient to have their own groups and their own platforms to voice their perspectives: instead, they interfered with a group and a platform which voiced opposing perspectives.

This mode of activism is deeply hostile to diversity, to different groups in different spaces doing different things. If you have any interest in civic society at all, you should be deeply worried. In fact, unless you are yourself a fundamentalist within this coterie, you should be worried. It could be your group next. I’ll explain some of the ramifications of this further on.

Women’s Rights, Aside from Queer Issues

This is a huge blow. The old AWARE was flawed, insufficiently robust on gay rights and came across as rather elitist, but it did some good work – on bride trafficking, on sex education, on body image, on domestic violence. The infrastructure and kudos that the organisation lent to that work will need to be rebuilt in a new form. It is a major loss for feminism in Singapore.

In the meantime, it is probable the new AWARE will use the perception of AWARE as an organisation that speaks for women’s interests, so as to lobby for programmes that are directly contrary to women’s interests. They could well support substantial restrictions on abortion rights. They might also change AWARE’s existing comprehensive sex education programmes and favour abstinence-only ones which condemn sex between women. And I will be entirely unsurprised if they preach traditional gender roles, and the idea of women and men being two opposite and complementary flavours, instead of promoting equality, diversity and individualism in gender identities.

There are already groups that do all this, but their backgrounds and positions are known to be those of Christian fundamentalists. Focus on the Family (and their No Apologies programme) and Liberty League, for instance, as well as Exodus International. By taking over AWARE, people with the same Christian fundamentalist ethos could confuse others into believing that these agendas are supported by an organisation which is concerned with women’s best interests from a feminist and humanist point of view, rather than a Christian fundamentalist point of view. So we need to shout it from the rooftops: if these people are in a position to dominate AWARE, then the new AWARE will behave as a group of sectarian fundamentalists, not a group of secular feminists. AWARE will not stand for gender equality; it will stand for a particular vision of Christian morality. Know who you’re dealing with when you hear them speak.

It is sad that it should come to this, but Constance Singam and the rest of the AWARE ‘old guard’ should take heart: there is a way forward. Disassociate publicly from the new AWARE. Set up a new organisation. State clearly, without hedging, and without obfuscation, what you stand for: secular feminism, including abortion rights, equality for LGBTQ people, and freedom from oppressive gender roles. Put it in your constitution this time, and make it a habit to stand up for what you believe in, in the loudest, clearest, most principled possible terms, whenever the opportunity arises. Be transparent about your values, and accountable – including, yes, to queer women (more on this below). Learn from this mistake and it won’t happen again. It might even be better this time.

Queer Issues – Women and Men Both

Everything that was said about women’s rights here applies to queer issues as well. The new AWARE could well use the guise of women’s rights to attack lesbians and bisexual women’s interests, and they could do it in terms that attack gay men as well. Again, it is vitally important that everyone knows they are doing this as sectarian fundamentalists, not as secular feminists.

Why does this matter? It’s not that secular feminists are a particularly influential group whose invocation will cast some kind of spell upon all. Rather, making the facts clear will destroy any illusion that broadbased, autonomous agreement on a homophobic agenda has arisen from both the different philosophies of Christian fundamentalism and secular feminism. It will reaffirm that what looks like multiple homophobic voices in civic society are by and large part of the same one movement, the same one community, with distinctly Christian fundamentalist, American-influenced origins. The response to Repeal377a.com dramatically revealed the character of the main organised opposition to gay rights. They must not be allowed to use this opportunity to dress themselves up as something else.

It’s All Connected: We Must Unite

If you desire an equal, secular society, you have to unite with others who share that desire. And you have to make a commitment to it: a commitment backed up by more than just private feeling. You have to speak openly about what you believe in, and you have to stand shoulder to shoulder in solidarity when people other than you are threatened. Christian fundamentalists in Singapore are phenomenally well-organised, and if we remain fragmented – too afraid or selfish or apathetic to take stances in support of others – we will not have the numbers or resources to withstand these tactics if and when they come for us. Consider yourself warned.

An example is right before us. Queer women appealed to the old AWARE to represent their interests, to show active solidarity rather than passive tolerance, and AWARE fobbed them off. If they had been engaged more closely, if they had been persuaded to see AWARE as a space in which they had ownership and which reflected their values and interests, the AGM might naturally have had a higher turnout of queer women. No guarantees, but it was more likely. They might have been able to block the election of the new committee. Everything might have been different.

We have to build alliances, and in order to build them we have to earn mutual support. We have to care about a little bit more than ourselves and our personal pet causes. We are all in danger otherwise.

And don’t let them paint this position as a threat to religious freedom. It is the takeover of public life by fundamentalism which threatens religious freedom. In the first place, there are many religious people whose values are not those of these fundamentalists: there are Muslim feminists, gay-friendly Christian churches, Hindus who believe in the value of a secular society, and so forth. The whole point of secular society is to give everyone space to practice their own religious values in their private lives and through private associations of private people. A secular society values plurality and diverse groups.

The act of hijacking a private group which doesn’t share one’s values, so as to disrupt the group’s activities and use the group’s infrastructure to promote wholly different religious values, threatens that plurality and diversity. It threatens religious freedom.

To Infinity and Beyond

There is one group about which this piece has been utterly silent, and that is the PAP government. Have they a role in this?

Yes. This brand of Christian fundamentalism appeals to some Singaporeans precisely because of the stifling nature of the society the PAP has created. They clamped down on diversity and freedom; they sought to limit social imagination. Little wonder one of the most popular social movements that arose is one which is hostile to diversity and freedom, and which is wholly socially unimaginative.

There’s something else here, too. Political apathy has often been attributed to the PAP’s governing style. Political naïvete has the same source. If you have no experience of organising, how can you effectively oppose the activities and values of people who do? The PAP should be worried. There is a new power centre in society, and it is growing, and it is better at organising than anyone else is. It could even be better at organising than the PAP itself: the PAP could conceivably, in the future, be taken over by exactly the same dynamic that felled AWARE.

It’s time to wake up, folks. The stakes are too high.

Thanks ST for highlighting this unusual takeover.

Yes it is unbecoming of an established NGO to be (wo)manned by complete strangers.. There must be a constitution that states that only those who have been with the organisation for more than 2 years can stand for elections. Imagine if this so-called "RIGHTEOUS' people starts to wage war against homosexuality publicly...

I am appalled by their actions now.

How long is their term in office?

Guest Billy
There is one group about which this piece has been utterly silent, and that is the PAP government. Have they a role in this?

Yes. This brand of Christian fundamentalism appeals to some Singaporeans precisely because of the stifling nature of the society the PAP has created. They clamped down on diversity and freedom; they sought to limit social imagination. Little wonder one of the most popular social movements that arose is one which is hostile to diversity and freedom, and which is wholly socially unimaginative.

There’s something else here, too. Political apathy has often been attributed to the PAP’s governing style. Political naïvete has the same source. If you have no experience of organising, how can you effectively oppose the activities and values of people who do? The PAP should be worried. There is a new power centre in society, and it is growing, and it is better at organising than anyone else is. It could even be better at organising than the PAP itself: the PAP could conceivably, in the future, be taken over by exactly the same dynamic that felled AWARE.

It’s time to wake up, folks. The stakes are too high.

I think things are changing very fast in Sing and SE Asia together with the rest of the world. If the incumbent does not act correctly they and SG will loose big, like in Malaysia and Thailand. If they want support, they have to respect the people, every one of them.

As the above said new group/s can organize themselves much better, especially in this IT age. They should not have stifled free speech and organisations like PLU in the first place, they may now have to pay the price for it. They should have given gay people the freedom and rights as accorded to every citizens, but they only let people like Thio Li Ann shout loud and clear. Last year the leadership has failed to lead the 377A debate the right direction, hope they don't commit more leadership failures. New forces; competent forces are building up to replace them if they are not careful.

This is what will happen if we legalise it, just think of it what is it that will stop people from degenerating to this kind of behaviour if it was a free for all.

http://www.jogay.com/ggc5/crazyguys_18/gay36.html

yeah some people who are rationale and thinking may argue for equality but I don't want singapore to become like these,

those high flying gays can always fly to Greek islands MYKONOs for these kinda of parties or Bangkok nearby lets keep Singapore clean.

Guest me too

may I also add that let's keep the status quo, because this is what i can see in the future if we take the first step of allowing the repeal.

Just imagine what will it stop business operators from organising this kind of parties if it was legalised.

Lets keep Singapore clean.

Those who like this kinda of lifestyle can always jetoff to Europe to spend their money anyway they wish I will not stop them,

but Lets keep Singapore clean.

Guest Billy
This is what will happen if we legalise it, just think of it what is it that will stop people from degenerating to this kind of behaviour if it was a free for all.

http://www.jogay.com/ggc5/crazyguys_18/gay36.html

yeah some people who are rationale and thinking may argue for equality but I don't want singapore to become like these,

those high flying gays can always fly to Greek islands MYKONOs for these kinda of parties or Bangkok nearby lets keep Singapore clean.

I do not agree with the above. This is a thread make by some people and lawmakers that Sing will degenerate into chaos if we decriminalise gay people. Look at Japan, HongKong, and Thailand. There are not law against gay-sex, did those places turn into chaos like those shown above? These places are still safe for its citizens and tourist. Even in Europe you don't see orgies on the streets.

So stop using your wild, weird and wrapped imagination to think that things will degenerate into such state. You can't even distinguish between what is real and what is filmed.

This threat is unsubstantiated.

Guest Billy
may I also add that let's keep the status quo, because this is what i can see in the future if we take the first step of allowing the repeal.

Just imagine what will it stop business operators from organising this kind of parties if it was legalised.

Those who like this kinda of lifestyle can always jetoff to Europe to spend their money anyway they wish I will not stop them,

You are talking about two different things. Repealing 377A and business operators organising sex shows are two different things. Please read up 377A before you talk, don't be empty headed. Businesses doing shows have their own laws, people like you with such low knowledge level will be shocked to know that in Bangkok, the biggest operator of sex shows is a woman, she does it for the money. Let this sink into your head.

You also seems to be keen in exporting the gay culture to other places. Again, a serious flaw in argument, can we export the sex trade in Geylang to another countries to "keep" Singapore clean? You will probably suggest that all bad things should be exported to other countries. Singapore has already a bad reputation for exporting drug traffickers and other criminals to other countries; Do you know that they are many Singaporeans in jail in other countries? What kind of thought is this, export the bad things to other countries to keep Singapore clean.

Its time to wake up.

Well, 12 members, 2 old, 10 new.

Out of 10 new, 3 has written to public against homosexuality.

Count the numbers.

1. They are a bunch of feminist extremist.

2. They are very organised - can just overthrow the veterans in one swift swipe.

3. Some had been extremely vocal before, will be even louder now from a legitimate NGO platform.

4. The first item on their agenda will target at Male Chauvinism.

5. Will they 'kacau' us? Just wait and see.

Just wonder if they will organise any bra burning activities in public.

Dun mind to see some swinging tits, if there are any at all.

Guest guest

How absurd, obviously someone is not thinking straight here (pun intended). Gay and straight pxxn activities like what is depicted on that website exist, I can show you 10 times as many examples of similar straight pxxn here, does it mean we should make straight sex illegal? This is one good example of scare-mongering used by the fundies to demonise gay people. The average gay person is no more pxxnographic than your average straight guy or gal next door.

Guest GUEST

2. They are very organised - can just overthrow the veterans in one swift swipe.

3. Some had been extremely vocal before, will be even louder now from a legitimate NGO platform.

Oh dear, u seem to have misread the whole issue...in truth, the feminists have always been on our side and amongst our best allies against discrimination and prejudice. The many wise former presidents of AWARE are highly-respected women leaders who have done a lot of good and stood for equality for all - and many of them have spoken openly in support of GLBT rights. We may not have personal friends with lesbians and/or feminists but make no mistake - history has shown time and again that they are on our side when it comes time to fight oppression and other crisis (remember how the butches helped the gay boys fight the police during the infamous Stonewall riots?)

The concern about the perceived hostile takeover is that the newcomers may hijack the name and reputation built up by the old members and turn it around to preach "traditional pro-christian" values and attack abortion rights, GLBT rights, advocate that women embrace traditional roles in society etc...that's why we are all waiting to see what is the position of the new managament team with regards to the aforementioned concerns...

Oh dear, u seem to have misread the whole issue...in truth, the feminists have always been on our side and amongst our best allies against discrimination and prejudice. The many wise former presidents of AWARE are highly-respected women leaders who have done a lot of good and stood for equality for all - and many of them have spoken openly in support of GLBT rights. We may not have personal friends with lesbians and/or feminists but make no mistake - history has shown time and again that they are on our side when it comes time to fight oppression and other crisis (remember how the butches helped the gay boys fight the police during the infamous Stonewall riots?)

The concern about the perceived hostile takeover is that the newcomers may hijack the name and reputation built up by the old members and turn it around to preach "traditional pro-christian" values and attack abortion rights, GLBT rights, advocate that women embrace traditional roles in society etc...that's why we are all waiting to see what is the position of the new managament team with regards to the aforementioned concerns...

So, whats your point?

"The many wise former presidents of AWARE are highly-respected women leaders who......... "

This new assembly of women are quite different from the veterans and I'm NOT referring to the latter you mentioned as above.

Anyway, Feminists were never known to be pro-gay; the earlier Suffrage Movement were all about women's right and equal treatment domestically and otherwise.

Any hostile takeover usually means that an uprise by any means is neccessary to replace the current and a new agenda / governance will be establish and announced - this can happen any organisation; from a small clubs to companies to governments to kingdoms, past and present.

The woman's power is getting more and more powerful in recent years with the support of the Government. They are now in a position where they can climb on top of man's head and shit on them. i really hate to see the snorbish and uncaring face of the woman nowadays, really feel so lucky that I like man only therefore has less contact with them.

I strongly feel that man also need to fight for their own right, if not one day there will be no place for us to stand.

The power of women is directly from man. Y? Becos too many straight men are hen-peck nowadays. They simply give in women anything they want if women allow them to be fxxked. Many straight man always has a good and wonderful excuse by quoting I always respect my wife or women bla bla bla.... But in japan man are so inpower that women are basically being what a women should be. I guess most of the blame should come from men again. Sorry for saying that but through many area I realised that man can be hopeless sometimes just becos of love or lust. In dramas and moives nowadays, when women made a mistake for eloping, cheating or even sleeping with another man, she later realised that she after having all her fun and found that she still love the her first one. She will be forgiven as her first man must accept her wrong doing and then happy ending. But for man who did the same thing, usually they are killed or terribly humliated for the rest of the life. All these stupid storyline had indirectly encourage young males to accept the real fact is like that. So when they grow-up they need to accept the process of their love line just like the moives or dramas. If not you can either choose to becomes gay or become a psycho-women killer. For all these years i had observed that many men had lose many battles against women. Who gaves women the power? Ask yourself? And why women can be petty but not mens? why women can comits adultery but yet the court will have to awards them equal shared of assets from men? where is the so called gender equality? why men need to pay women eventhough they are broke? when women can still work and keep the child? why women choose men but not men choose women? Since there are so many "y". Why dont men start to think that they give to many good things to women and kept nothing for themselves? All the men in japan are still having great time of they life and still enjoy sex with women and being the head of their household. Why cant the world look into this? Of course, I am not encourage you to kill all women but just simply tell them to be what a women should be. Man are born to be the leader of all time. Do a test and you will know whether am I right? Go and ask all women and men which do they prefer a women boss or men boss?

Edited by bestdealsince1972

i read the AWARE incident with interest, not gonna comment on the PLU implication as now is too early to tell and a lot of hearsay.

But this incident highlighted the fault in their election system, maybe not just AWARE, but plenty of other organization as well.

- shouldnt there be a limit on who can be nominated? how can they allow member that joined last than 1 year to be nominated?

- Why's the attendance so low? I am sure there are enough members that supported the old timers whom have proven their worth than the new comers. Why are they not attending the AGM? Are they under the impression that the old timers will win again and hence it is waste time to attend? Well this incident rocks that belief.

Going forward, I hope other organizations can wake up to this incident, refine their current election nomination critera, or simply get those members that are able to vote to come for the AGM.

and to those that belongs to organization that matters, it is time to treat AGM on a stronger importance...

If "they" can do thisto AWARE, they can do this to others, even AFA...

Personally, for AWARE, i believe the existing members (which i assume is much much more than the newbies) can come together and call for a "no-confidence" vote to the new committee, that way they can call for a by-election and hopefully attended by all members to ensure total fairness in the result.

:thumb: When I Think It, I Do It, I Win It! :thumb:

Guest Guest

Aiyo bro, u got read the article properly or not....

160 AWARE members call for meeting to question new ExCo

By Pearl Forss, Channel NewsAsia | Posted: 14 April 2009 2057 hrs

SINGAPORE : 160 members of the Association of Women for Action and Research (AWARE) have submitted a request to call an extraordinary general meeting for the society, where a motion of no confidence in the newly-elected Executive Committee (ExCo) will be considered.

It all started at the AWARE annual general meeting on March 28.

Nine of the 12 Executive Committee positions went to newcomers during that meeting. Over 100 people had turned up to vote and many of these voters had only just joined AWARE.

Some of the newcomers have previously written to the media speaking against homosexuality. AWARE, on the other hand, is known for its liberal stance.

"It (AWARE) stands for choice, it stands for gender equity, it stands for democracy, it stands for diversity, plurality. That's why our membership has always been open," said Corinna Lim, a former Executive Committee member and AWARE member since 1992.

When asked for their reasons for seeking leadership, the new ExCo members declined comment.

"We told you that ExCo is going to be meeting sometime this week, after which there will be a press release. So there is no comment," said Charlotte Wong, VP of AWARE.

Its newly-elected President, Claire Nazar, a longtime member of AWARE, resigned barely two weeks after being voted in.

Some past presidents in the meantime, have been collecting signatures to call for an extraordinary general meeting - prompting some observers to comment that they are behaving like sore losers.

"We welcome change, it is not about losing at all. Someone from a different group came in, have certain ideas about what AWARE should be doing and hasn't communicated it, and all we want to know now is what this is about," said Lim.

"The extraordinary general meeting is an opportunity for the new guard to explain their position and win the members over. We can't really comment whether they will hold fast to the traditional line of AWARE, but I can't imagine why not, if they chose to enter AWARE and run for office there," said political analyst Gilian Koh.

The current committee has not replied to members' request to hold the meeting.

AWARE has about 500 members. - CNA /ls

160 AWARE members call for meeting to question new ExCo

By Pearl Forss, Channel NewsAsia | Posted: 14 April 2009 2057 hrs

SINGAPORE : 160 members of the Association of Women for Action and Research (AWARE) have submitted a request to call an extraordinary general meeting for the society, where a motion of no confidence in the newly-elected Executive Committee (ExCo) will be considered.

Showtime! :clap:

Guest non-pacifist

Guys,

Why are you just passively reading the news?

If you believe AWARE is now run by people who shouldn't be there, then do something!

If 150 members can call an AGM to discuss the issue, why can't you?

Join AWARE. When voting comes around again, and I am very sure it would, MAKE IT COUNT.

Nothing comes for free, nothing comes from passivity.

Rather than just complain effect change!

Guest Guest

Non-pacifist: Good point, more of us should join AWARE if we can afford it just so that when the time comes, we just might be able to make a difference.

This is not a case of whether the newcomers are feminist extremists who would attack male chauvinism but rather the complete opposite. It is time to act to ensure that AWARE remains a secular equal rights group who'd continue to support diversity and plurality.

Guest Billy

Good idea.

Can anybody please help. How to join, how much etc. Can guys join as full members?

Lets help some of our sisters in need, bravo!

Non-pacifist: Good point, more of us should join AWARE if we can afford it just so that when the time comes, we just might be able to make a difference.

This is not a case of whether the newcomers are feminist extremists who would attack male chauvinism but rather the complete opposite. It is time to act to ensure that AWARE remains a secular equal rights group who'd continue to support diversity and plurality.

Sorry ladies, its your job, please proceed.

Guest Billy

The picture about the new AWARE is getting clearer.

AWARE is an organisation that promotes fairness to women etc.

Yesterday they have voted a new President since the old one resigned two weeks being elected. This new president Josie Lau Meng Lee is one of them of joined only the group recently (less then 3 months I suppose). Her husband is Alan Chin Yew Liang who own several medical clinics under the Lifeline Medical Group and has spoken out against gays several times.

Link:

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNew...ory_364307.html

Another point about Josie Lau Meng Lee is that she is the Vice President for DBS Bank credit card. She is in charge of the card that gave a christmas gift of $15,000 last year to Focus on the Family Group which was started in the US and is very anti-gay and a percentage of what you spent on the card goes towards it.

Link:

http://www.blowingwind.org/forum/index.php...=11621&st=0

Lets just hope that the Chin family concentrates on the women agenda.

Guest 407793

Quote :

Her husband is Alan Chin Yew Liang who own several medical clinics under the Lifeline Medical Group and has spoken out against gays several times.

I'll do my part by not going to consult the doctors of the Lifeline Medical Group . There are still many reputable and better clinics that I can go, if I'm ill or need to consult a doctor. Why should I let someone who is anti-me to earn my money. No way.

Looks like the first task of the new president is to convince her boss to let her assume her new post.

What if her boss is a man and continue to disallow her to undertake the post with the same reasons mentioned earlier?

Are there any sexist elements within ?

What will she do to resist and fight back the establishment as the president of AWARE?

Interesting

Showtime II :clap:

These women (the new members who mounted the coup) have certain common denominators... they know each other, were organised to do this over at least the last few months, have common interest on certainly issues (at least about homosexuality). Has any news agency every investigated whether these women belong to any clubs, churches or political action groups prior to mounting this coup and successfully overthrowing the status quo?? Wonder who is the ring leader? Should our government be wary of these right wing conservative fundamentalists being so organised and ambitious?

Guest JUstOrdinaryCitizen
Quote :

Her husband is Alan Chin Yew Liang who own several medical clinics under the Lifeline Medical Group and has spoken out against gays several times.

I'll do my part by not going to consult the doctors of the Lifeline Medical Group . There are still many reputable and better clinics that I can go, if I'm ill or need to consult a doctor. Why should I let someone who is anti-me to earn my money. No way.

I agree. I will also do my part and boycott this group of company. I think we should all do our part so we can "Make a Difference!"

Guest rufus

since this is pink month, has anyone thought of having a 'pink blacklist' to get PLU to avoid certain business establishments that are known to be owned or have high profile homophobic employees?

my suggestions:

1. lifeline medical clinic owned by notorious anti gay forum letter writer dr alan chin

2. DBS bank where dr chin's wife, josie lau is VP (but i bet they're gonna sack her soon) and the whole focus on the family fiasco

3. AWARE until they sack the new committee of homophobic christian fundies

4. NUS law faculty where our dearest anti-gay MP thio li ann is a professor

anymore suggestions? :)

Guest lycra

I'm glad DBS does not support Josie Lau in her new position. If they were to remain silent and advocate, especially at this time where there is still so much controversy about the new exco's underhanded win, and speculation about their true agendas, I would assume that DBS supports her cause (and they way they won) as well. This will directly affect DBS's reputation and will speak volumes about what they really stand for.

DBS already took a beating for their Focus-On-Family support, and many friends of mine had closed their accounts in protest during that period of non-committal responses. If they were to support Josie Lau in her new position, we can well guess what will happen next.

Guest scrub

Well, if there is one thing we can all sleep soundly on, it is that anti-gay Christian fundamentalists do not have brains, even if they are bankers and doctors.

Which part of their teenie weenie bigoted brains did not see such an inelegant wrestle of power would not go unnoticed, and have its objectives so transparent to the rest of the world? Do they even think with the new perception they have cast on AWARE that it is at all a possible platform for them to operate from anymore? It will only serve to consolidate the fundamentalists/bigots that are already out there. but it certainly won't win them new supporters.

We have a strong advantage. 他们在明,我们在暗. They moves are all out there for us to see. We can strike from the very interwoven base of society.

It would be correct to say bigots have so much of their brains taken over by hatred they become stupid as a result. It all works in our favour.

Now the people who will have to sit up and take active steps to stem this would be PAP, for the Christian fundamentalists working at a grassroot level could pose a serious threat, especially at the next election.

Hope you guys are reading this, Mr and Mr Lee.

Guest Billy

I think Dr Chin might be Thio Li Ann's cousin, he is just over 50 and the lady is 30+. Maybe a nephew of Dr Thio Su Mien that famous lady lawyer from a church in Queenstown that is openly anti-gay. They are very against gays and have always portray gays in very bad light, as if all the world's ill are caused by gays. They have many times say publicly that PC 377a should be enforced firmly as gays are criminals and should be behind bars.

From the internet, they have many supporters, mostly from their church, I suppose. The takeover of AWARE and the resignation of the previously President (their gang) to make way for Josie is orchestrated by them. My guess only.

What I dislike about them is that they blame every on gays, they even say gays always go for straight men and corrupt their husbands and children. The low population, HIV etc.

Now, that's something for you to think about.

• G_M changed the title to AWARE Saga of 2009 (compiled)
  • G_M unlocked this topic
  • Guest locked this topic