Male HQ

Prague, Czech Republic

Andy@Tokyo

My first Europe trip happened to be Prague in Czech Republic (2009).

The weather there now is very much like Japan, cool in the early morning and night but hot in the afternoon. I arrived on a night plane and having long hours of sleep plus 7hrs(?) of jetlag, I found myself wide awake at 5am. Fortunately, the sun was already up. Hence, there I began exploring the city.

The first surprise was the ticketing system at the subway train station- After purchasing a ticket from a vending machine, u walk through the gates to the train platform… but wait.. even if u are without a ticket u can still walk through the gates, coz there are no ‘automatic doors’ ? It was later that I realized that they employed the ‘Open Ticket System’ The catch is that if u are caught cheating, u would pay a hefty fine. Aside that the ride was rather uneventful until I reached Mustek (Heart of the Old Town in Prague)

Once I came out of the station, I found myself teleported into the middle ages. The medieval and gothic architectures are charming and I went snapping and snapping with my cam, sometimes imagining that I would capture a knight in shining armor battling a dragon or a wizard casting a fireball at me coz I had trespassed their territory. The comparable mirror image of these scenarios in Japan would be, I think, Kyoto, Nara or Asakusa in Tokyo where the olden times settings are well preserved even with the incorporation of modern architectures and people.

Would update later again with pictures and a short note on a PLU bar I visited.

For PLU places, I used this map which I find is quite up-to-date.

Prague PLU MAP (useful)

Edited by Andy@Tokyo

I was travelling to Prague, Czech last year around November. The weather is not really good, it rained some days but sometimes sunny. It can be alittle bit hot in daytime but very cold in night time.

I like Prague city very very much, it is really my type of travelling places, small stone street with old house in both sides ... nothing can beat that ...

Someone said that, there are 3 ROMANTIC cities which lover couples should go there :

- Venice, Italy : City of LOVE

- Bruges, Belgium : Lake of LOVE

- Prague, Czech : Bridge of LOVE

I traveled to 2 first cities few years ago and always wanted to complete the last one ... so I could find the true love of my life ... I went to the Bridge of LOVE every day to look for someone having the same reason to be there ... but in the end ... I still go back to Singapore lonely ... but yes, I did complete the quote ;)

As Andy mentioned, I had problem with the Metro ticket in Prague. My Eurolines bus from Frankfurt, Germany arrived Prague in a afternoon, and it is near a train station. I need to took a metro to the city centre where my hostel is. When I tried to buy the ticket, the old lady can not understand, even I gave her money but she gave me back ... so I decided just go into the train. After few stations, there are 2 old men come and check the ticket and I was caught. The fine is very high and I tried to explain to him but no way so I paid :(( ... ( I think around 700 Czech currency).

The local people there are very welcome you and also your money :P. They tried to get your money as much as possible, friendliness is based on your money ... it was very Russian or Eastern Europe type to me :D

Above, the food is very very nice. You must try the local beer, it is very famous. I went to a local "straight" pub in a quiet street, overthere only local people and I am only Asian who dont speak local language. So when I ordered, nobody understood and they had to ask someone there who can speak English to help me :D ... which is very nice ...

Sometimes, the greatest journey is the distance between two people

Thanks for sharing castaway ;) Not sure where is bridge of love? Is it charles' Bridge?

Am trying to share the photos through Facebook at the following link.

Czech Photos

The Bar i visited was Club U Rudolfa. Went @ about 8pm and there was abot 15 Peps there already (30s and above. Many seniors too). But, a number of them were leaving (Including 2 ladies?)as i entered. The setting of the bar is much like a resturants with a main room and a other small rooms. The main crowd was in the main room and as there was no place to sit there, i went to a smaller room. was the only one there and i order a beer which tasted too bitter.. :( Quite surprised coz beers at the other places in the city i tried was quite good and Prague is also known for her beer. I tried to take a pic of the room that i am in, but was warned not to. Quite scary coz they can bearly communiate in english. No one came to chat and so i left after half-an-hour. :(

Re: Food

I liked their roost duck, pork and beef. also the potato soup. :)

Yes, it is Charles bridge :D ... actually ... do you like it ?

I love this city, it is very romantic to me ... I will come back there again with someone special ...

For lunch time, I always came to some local food shops, order some pate or handmade ham, food, soup, bread ... then standing eating ... so nice and cheap also :P

Dinner, if you have money then no problem spending it in some small restaurants in old quarter (city centre).

A friend of mine told me there is a strip gay bar and quite fun ... but I did not go because I was there by myself and dont speak local language ... but I did go to a sauna near my hostel (not the famous one), it is dirty, small and the staff is so so money-oriented ...

We always hear that Czech boys are very handsome and sexy but may be all of them already left the countries or joined film industry ... only left the xyz ones :(

Did you travel to other provinces or cities outside of Prague ? I heard they are beautiful also ...

• 2 weeks later...

Is this Cesky Krumlov where you mentioned ?

Just found some pics of this VERY beautiful and charming city and I can't control myself of NOT uploading here to share :D

3801644207_22b14ddb83_o.jpg

3801644047_d2078c9ac2_o.jpg

I missed this city in my last trip in Europe last year but for sure I will come back Czech again ... :thumb:

Edited by castaway

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.