Male HQ

Krabi - Thailand

castaway

Hi all travellers,

As Tiger Airways reopens the route from Singapore to Krabi, Thailand again where Movies "Beach" & "Tomorrow Never Dies" and of course Amazing Race were shot also ... . Then I just booked my ticket for November holidays :thumb: ... so have you guys ever travelled there before ?

Any advise for the "quite" island ? for the gay/gay-friendly hotel ? gay clubs/bars ? Any sauna there ?

From Airport to Centre or island that far ? Which Island I should stay to enjoy quiet days in beach ?

Sometimes, the greatest journey is the distance between two people

Hi all travellers,

As Tiger Airways reopens the route from Singapore to Krabi, Thailand again where Movies "Beach" & "Tomorrow Never Dies" and of course Amazing Race were shot also ... . Then I just booked my ticket for November holidays :thumb: ... so have you guys ever travelled there before ?

Any advise for the "quite" island ? for the gay/gay-friendly hotel ? gay clubs/bars ? Any sauna there ?

From Airport to Centre or island that far ? Which Island I should stay to enjoy quiet days in beach ?

Ko Lanta :thumb:

Ko Lanta :thumb:

Thanks for your advice but could you tell more about it ? Which hotel I should stay ? How far from airport ? How can I get there ?

I know I will ask Google later but appreciate your personal information and comments ;)

Thanks for your advice but could you tell more about it ? Which hotel I should stay ? How far from airport ? How can I get there ?

I know I will ask Google later but appreciate your personal information and comments ;)

Best to go to Ao Nang from Krabi Town for 1 st night stay. Central point but more expensive. You can then figure out just what you want to do and

go from there. I booked accommodation as I went along, so I could see what I was getting and you can also bargain for price if you take your time.

Heaps of info when you google. :)

Thanks passinthenight,

I will be in Krabi around 3 nights. I search through internet and they said that most people go to Ao Nang or Rai Leh by bus, or to Phi Phi by ferry. Rai Leh is famous for rock climbing, while Ao Nang, and Phi Phi, for sun sand and sea. So I guess I will stick to Ao Nang. Do you know how far from Ao Nang - Airport ? Can I take taxi instead or have to go by bus ? Is it really expensive ?

Any hotel there you would recommend ?

What can I do for 3 days in Krabi instead of swimming and sex on the beach ? :P

Thanks passinthenight,

I will be in Krabi around 3 nights. I search through internet and they said that most people go to Ao Nang or Rai Leh by bus, or to Phi Phi by ferry. Rai Leh is famous for rock climbing, while Ao Nang, and Phi Phi, for sun sand and sea. So I guess I will stick to Ao Nang. Do you know how far from Ao Nang - Airport ? Can I take taxi instead or have to go by bus ? Is it really expensive ?

Any hotel there you would recommend ?

What can I do for 3 days in Krabi instead of swimming and sex on the beach ? :P

Castaway,

I can only explain what I did.( I was travelling with friends that were on a tight budget, one of which was thai).

Taxi to Krabi town (Just a town, not a tourist location).

Took mini bus with other tourists to Ao Nang (about 90 minutes, I think).

Found somewhere to stay the night.

Ao Nang is popular because it is central to everywhere,this is why it's expensive for everything.

Took mini bus with other tourists to Ko Lanta (mini bus travelled on ferries).

Hired a taxi motor bike with cart at the back and got him to take us hotel shopping.

We found lots of places to stay on the beach.

We settled for a cabin each with own shower and toilet for only $25.00 per night per cabin.

When going to Phi Phi for a day trip from Ko Lanta, do not buy ticket for long boat hire on the boat traveling to phi phi. (rort and a rip-off). There are so many there and much cheaper dealing direct with owner of the long boat).

Hope it helps. :)

Ao nang is too commercialized, but if thats what you are looking for then its ok. but note that quite a bit of Ao nang resorts are not beachfront.

I would recomm to stay Phi Phi or Lanta, if you are looking for less people to crowd with

Phi Phi - Phi Phi Natural/Holiday inn (not Tongsai bay area)

Lanta - Best Western (very nice resort)

Ao nang is too commercialized, but if thats what you are looking for then its ok. but note that quite a bit of Ao nang resorts are not beachfront.

I would recomm to stay Phi Phi or Lanta, if you are looking for less people to crowd with

Phi Phi - Phi Phi Natural/Holiday inn (not Tongsai bay area)

Lanta - Best Western (very nice resort)

Oh, I am very surprised but thanks for your information, BWMG.

I read some forums then all advise not staying in Phi Phi because it is always crowded with tourists.:(

But thanks for hotel information. I will google more ;)

for Phi Phi, avoid Tong Sai Bay area, its crowded with tourists & backpackers, bcos it the main jetty area. The resorts i mentioned are at the other side of the island, not much crowd over there.

oh btw, no need to visit Maya Bay (where they filmed The Beach) its also very crowded. Ask your boatmen to find you some other small coves/islands, you can have the whole beach to yourselves.

Edited by bw_mac_guest

for Phi Phi, avoid Tong Sai Bay area, its crowded with tourists & backpackers, bcos it the main jetty area. The resorts i mentioned are at the other side of the island, not much crowd over there.

oh btw, no need to visit Maya Bay (where they filmed The Beach) its also very crowded. Ask your boatmen to find you some other small coves/islands, you can have the whole beach to yourselves.

thanks, BWMG ... I will look and read more about the hotels or resorts but do you have any idea how much about price ? Is it cheaper to book through agent or just through website ?

As I will be there is for beach and relax so will try to avoid crowds.

Can you share how much to pay for boatman for a day including everything ?

• 2 weeks later...

I think theres some gay bars in the town area, but we didnt manage to go there cos we were stuck at the beach front everyday by choice.

Edited by imchaser

Volunteering for the underwear association for third world countries. Please donate your used underwear to me.

• 3 months later...

Just want to share some information before I forget :D

There is bus from Airport to Krabi Town : 100 Bath. No other choice and it is good enough.

From Krabi Town, take another bus to Koh Lanta : 350 Bath. For other islands, they also have.

This bus departs every hour and can drop you @ your resort. There are 2 times of ferry transfer so the trip will take you around 3-4 hours. DON'T buy the return bus ticket in Krabi Town because you can buy it from your resort, only 300 Bath :thumb:

Koh Lanta is nice "muslim" & "friendly" island for relax, tan, just lying on the beach whole day :rolleyes: .

I find the beaches in Koh Lanta is not ideal for swimming as Phuket, the further beach from center is the better and quieter.

I rented a motorbike for 1 day to discover the island, very nice experience :clap:

If you don't travel in high season as mine then the hotel rate is very good.

I stayed in Lanta Pavilion Resort, paid only 500 Bath/air-con room (after great discount) but did not like the shower much (too weak). The food is actually very good and price is reasonable.

Outdoor Massage on the beach is 250 Bath/hour. Nice experience :thumb:

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.