Male HQ

Laos (Backpack Travel)

Guest soyabean

Guest soyabean

Hi guys, I already booked a flight to Laos this November for backpacking. Any guys been there before and can share few pointers? I have search online but I think it lacks of info so it is better to ask you guys who have personally been there.

I have been in Vientiane (Laos) few times but not as tourist.

I could say if you like quiet, laid-back city just to relax for few days, then it is OK ... because it is quite boring there. There is nothing to do, nowhere to visit in Vientiane, may be Luang Prabang is more interesting but I have not been there yet.

But the thing I like in Laos is its slowness, its un-developed and the food in restaurant, cheap and delicious :clap: ... but I think Laos food is not so different from Thailand. :(

For money changer, just need to change alittle bit from airport because rate there is not good, better in the city centre.

Edited by castaway

Sometimes, the greatest journey is the distance between two people

Guest soyabean

thanks castaway..

Yeah my initial plan was to go Vientaine and slowly move to Luang Prabang. I have asked around and most of them says the road is very very bad and good luck to me on the 12 hour busride..Haha.. Also another thing that I found out while searching is Laos is goin to host the SEA Games this coming December. Well, I will be there before the games and I hope by then they should have improve their road infrastructure to welcome the atheletes from other countries..

thanks castaway..

the road is very very bad and good luck to me on the 12 hour busride..Haha.. Also another thing that I found out while searching is Laos is goin to host the SEA Games this coming December. Well, I will be there before the games and I hope by then they should have improve their road infrastructure to welcome the atheletes from other countries..

luang prabang is an idyllic small town by the river. Personally view it as a place if I need to relax do some reflection.

And yes the road is quite treacherous but mountaineous and quite scenic. I made the LP to VTE by budget bus and is a long long ride.

But wld urge u check the season and weather before taking the bus as some of the valley roads along the way might be risky during rainy season.

Guest soyabean

luang prabang is an idyllic small town by the river. Personally view it as a place if I need to relax do some reflection.

And yes the road is quite treacherous but mountaineous and quite scenic. I made the LP to VTE by budget bus and is a long long ride.

But wld urge u check the season and weather before taking the bus as some of the valley roads along the way might be risky during rainy season.

Hi Rotikawin,

Thanks for the tips. Checking on the season and weather is the first thing I did before travelling to any country. The period of Nov-Jan is a very good weather for backpacking in laos as it's a cool-dry season (all the website claimed this). Therefore, I proceed to go there for my next trip. I heard much more about LP rather than VTE and so I think I will spend more time in LP rather than VTE. BTW, on your trip do you stay in hotels or guesthouse? I will be opting for guesthouse (budget max US15 a night) and it will be great if you have any info on these. I have checked some websites and the range is around US7 cheapest to US25 a night for a guesthouse stay.

Cheers..

Hi Rotikawin,

Thanks for the tips. Checking on the season and weather is the first thing I did before travelling to any country.

BTW, on your trip do you stay in hotels or guesthouse? I will be opting for guesthouse (budget max US15 a night)

Cheers..

I stayed in a guesthouse just along and facing the river, owned by Taiwanese, called 寮人之家

Can't remember the exact room rate, but it's quite cheap think was ard 15usd.

Clean and staff were friendly.

Hi Rotikawin,

Thanks for the tips. Checking on the season and weather is the first thing I did before travelling to any country.

BTW, on your trip do you stay in hotels or guesthouse? I will be opting for guesthouse (budget max US15 a night)

Cheers..

went there and took the bus ride couple of years back and was during end dec.

Saw many scars of land slides on the slopes and on the roads along the way.

But since you'll be there in nov and avoiding the rainy season shld be safe lah...

Have fun!

Edited by rotikawin

When I was in VTE, I saw some White travellers holding a board saying that where they was heading to, so any vehicle was going there, they could join :wacko: ... so funny. May be you wanna give a try :rolleyes: .

Asked a friend and they gave me their accommodation infor when they traveled in Laos ... last year :

In Vientiane, on the road Manthaturath, near river and Nam Phu fountain :

- Saysouly Guest House : 12 US$/double room

- Vongkhamsane hotel: 18 US$/double room, no TV, including breakast

http://www.vongkhamsenehotel.com/Hotel_Location/Hotel_Location.htm

17/01 Manthathulath Rd

Xiengyeun village

Vientiane, Lao PDR

Tel: (+856-21) 219922

Fax: (+856-21) 219923

Mobile: (+856-20) 5555388

e-mail: ty@vongkhamsenehotel.com

In Luang Prabang:

- Namsok Guest House : 50.000 Kip/double room

- ThanaBoun Guest House: 100.000 Kip/room with fan, 150.000K/room with aircon. ThanaBoun is located on Sisavang Vong Str, most crowded street in LP, owner is Laos mixed Chinese, in operation around 1 year and half so clean, quite, cafe and internet downstair.

48/3 Xiangmuan Village

Sisavangvong Street

Luang Prabang, Laos

Tel/Fax (856-71) 260606

Hope it helps.

Edited by castaway

• 2 weeks later...

i went laos during the height of summer in april a few years back, it was freaking hot. it was songkran (laotian culture is very similar to thai) so people were having quite a bit of fun splashing water at each other.

i found vientiane impossibly sleepy for a capital, especially the riverfront area. certain parts of the town are in bad shape, but it does have its charms...

luang prabang felt like its in the middle of nowhere, surrounded totally by mountains. but the tourist amenities are pretty developed, thanks to its well preserved vernacular architecture and the local traditions which seem to be kept largely intact

was supposed to go further down south to savannakhet and si phan don and on to cambodia along the mekong, too bad something happened and i had to fly down straight...

finding accommodation is pretty easy. like any other independent traveller destinations, both vientiane and luang prabang have their fair share of touts, though the local touts r generally quite harmless...

Guest soyabean

thanks..

I've already found another German backpacker who coincidently going about the same date as I am. So I will probably travel with him for some of the days.

I am very much interested in trying the Laos Gibbonx Experience ( http://www.travelfish.org/feature/46 ) Sounds interesting to be sleeping for 2 nights in the tree tops and gliding one tree to another. The problem is the location which is at the northwest of Lao and from Vientaine, it will take about 24hours busride. Unless I cross the border from Bangkok, it seems the travel journey will be hard to handle. Any suggestions? Also it's quite expensive for a 3days 2 nights experience (160euros).

Anyway, Thanks for the advices.. =)

• 3 weeks later...

thanks..

Also it's quite expensive for a 3days 2 nights experience (160euros).

I am just back from a wonderful trip to VTE and LP again, Vongkhamsane looks great from the exterior, and close enough to river front.

160Euro seems incrediblly expensive for a rustic stay in the jungle, think its equivalent to the monthly salary of many Laotians

• 2 months later...
Guest soyabean

Hi all,

I am back from my 3 weeks backpacking in Laos. Out of all the S.E.Asian countries I've been to, I think Laos is the best for me.

My travel started from Vientiane -> Vang Vieng -> Luang Prabang -> Phosavanh -> Udomxai -> Luang Nam Tha -> Bokeo (Huay Xai).

Personally I don't really like the capital city (Vientiane). The one which I love most is Vang Vieng. The landscape and scenary is sooo beautiful and tubing is so fun!

Yes, the busride from one city to another can be hard with an average of 8 to 10 hours per trip. But every city is so different and that makes the long journey worth it.

At Huay Xai, I still have some cash balance and thus opted for the gibbon thingy and I made the right choice. It's an experience which everyone must try in their lifetime. Sleeping in a treehouse on top of the mountain is definitely an adventure. Anyway, from Huay Xai I took a boat cross over to Thailand and went to Chiangrai and then to Mae Sai and cross over to Myanmar.

Now I am back in SG and thank you all for the travel tips and those who is going and wanted to know more, pls feel free to ask and I'll try to answer.

Cheers!!

Hi,

Yes, I would like to know more about Myanmar.

I guess you took flight from Yangon back to Singapore ?

Where did you go in Myanmar ? Are they Bagan or Golden Rock ? Could you share your experience or information about transpotation in Myanmar ?

Thanks in advance.

Hi all,

Out of all the S.E.Asian countries I've been to, I think Laos is the best for me.

Vientiane -> Vang Vieng -> Luang Prabang -> Phosavanh -> Udomxai -> Luang Nam Tha -> Bokeo (Huay Xai).

The one which I love most is Vang Vieng. The landscape and scenary is sooo beautiful and tubing is so fun!

that makes the long journey worth it.

Anyway, from Huay Xai I took a boat cross over to Thailand and went to Chiangrai and then to Mae Sai and cross over to Myanmar.

Hi, glad you enjoyed Laos, i like Laos best too(compared to other neighbouring Indo-chn countries) for its stunning natural beauty, cool weather, and friendly pple, (not to mention good-looking locals..:P).

I've never ventured much to other towns beyond LP and VTE, looks like next trip i'll plan for VV, and other towns.

Am interested to know more about the dbl border crossing from Laos->Thai North-> Myanmar, any problems encountered? what are the costs like?

Thanks!

Guest soyabean

Castaway : I thought that I could venture more of myanmar once I cross the border to Tachileik. But only to be told that it is restricted to plan your journey further than Tachileik. Foreigners in Thailand only cross this border and stay for few hours and come back to Thai just to extend their visa. You can only venture more only if you fly in to Yangon. I went to Yangon before and I don't have any problems for transportation as my Myanmar colleague is the one show me around.

rotikawin : Yes, I love Vang Vieng. Breath taking backdrop scenary..I definitely will go there again. For your questions, the Laos (Huay Xai) to cross over to Thailand (Chiang Kong, Chiang Rai) I paid 50baht for the cross over from Huay Xai to Chiang Kong. But have to wait almost an hour coz they won't budge until the boat is full. From Thailand (Mae Sai) to Myanmar (Tachiliek) it is free coz just cross a small bridge but the Myanmar custom will ask for some tax of 500baht for foreigner to come in.

Guest soyabean

@ Soyabean : have you tried to take any domestic flight ?

Is it safe and OK service because I see the airplane on internet are small ones, not Airbus or Boeing types. :(

Hi Castaway, it may sound stupid but from myanmar I travel back to chiangrai to stay for 3 days and went to visit the hilltribes before I went back to Huay Xai. My almost a month holidays time is running short so to save time travelling 27 hours back to Vientiane for my flight back home, I took their domestic flight from Huay Xai back to Vientiane. It is not cheap though (it cost US100) but I saved 26 hours of bus travelling. Yes it's a small plane and there's no service at all (only given plain water like those you get when you take a ferry to batam). Also the plane is always late compared to their scheduled time. At first the sound of the propellers is quite scary but after a while, it is safe to take their plane.

Well, lesson learn. I should have just take a 10 hour busride from Chiangrai back to Bangkok and take a flight back home instead.

• 5 months later...
Guest LP travel

I guess you are talking about domestic flight in Laos but I am asking about domestic flight in Myanmar :D, hihi.

sorry for digging up this thread because i'm thinking of going Luang Prabang in Dec.

what is the preferred to fly there?

SIN > BKK > LP? and est how much does it cost for the air tickets?

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, i love reading you guys' adventures! Its really inspiring.

Anyone shares a urge to go deserts? I have itch to go to the states and drive a small campervan through the dry/desert states of Idaho, Utah, Nevada. Anyone with pointers?

SP

We see things not as they are, but as WE are - The Talmud

When the student is ready, the teacher will appear - The Buddha

Guest soyabean

sorry for digging up this thread because i'm thinking of going Luang Prabang in Dec.

what is the preferred to fly there?

SIN > BKK > LP? and est how much does it cost for the air tickets?

LP travel, I did not take direct flight to LP. Instead took Thai airways direct to Vientiane and then took bus to LP. Well, that is if you got time to travel. If not I guess you can take their domestic flight to LP or I think Vietnam airlines got go straight to LP from SG.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.