Male HQ

Singapore Gay Men Known As Prawn?

Guest DK

Today, over dinner with some friends, a friend's friend from Taiwan remarked, : "I just heard that singapore gays are known as prawn."

The rest are simply surprised that he has only learn of the singapore gay = prawn image.

The rest consist of people from Australia, Hong Kong and Singapore.

Of course, I have heard of it several times before.

They just rubbed it in telling how far and international this connotation has reached.

Are Singapore gays generally lacking in looks (head) and make up hard for the physical (body) department?

Guest Caliguy

This is so stupid. All boils down to first impressions or encounters with different people from different countries.

For example,I could say all Taiwanese gays are niang from does I have met,or that all Japanese gays a cold fishes in bed,from my encounters,and let's not even get into dick size.

So it just depend on who u encounter.

So if we have this rep,blame those frequent visitors to Taiwan.

There are many in every gym here in Singapore.

Everyone should just be who they are and love who they want,and fxxk the rest and their stupid sweeping statement.

Guest prawn eater

singaporean are prawn? ya, maybe its true

but i jus love the singaporean's body, so fit and yummy

i manage to eat few of them in one nite..... :B)

Guest Ironrod

This is so stupid. All boils down to first impressions or encounters with different people from different countries.

For example,I could say all Taiwanese gays are niang from does I have met,or that all Japanese gays a cold fishes in bed,from my encounters,and let's not even get into dick size.

So it just depend on who u encounter.

So if we have this rep,blame those frequent visitors to Taiwan.

There are many in every gym here in Singapore.

Everyone should just be who they are and love who they want,and fxxk the rest and their stupid sweeping statement.

Ah! I agree, I was working in Taiwan for 6 months - 1 year on and off ~ most taiwanese gays are quite niang....so scary that I didn't bother to connect with any gays there lol

Maybe those singaporeans who normally go and find taiwaneses to have fun are like that, good bods but no looks. Worse, some of them are yaya cos they think their bods are so good.

Normally those with both looks and bods dun need to look around, people look for them! Being realistic here. :/

Looks are subjective.

"The two of us are living in the same era, believing in the same future

Yesterday’s tears and today’s smiles will stay true

We’ve experienced the same pain, we’ve gathered the same kindness

And we’ll turn them into the strength to live on tomorrow"

progress - ayumi hamasaki

Opinions are a matter of perspective.

I have a taiwanese friend, on the contrary, thinks S'porean gays are quite cute n good-looking. He said we are bilingual, so it makes it very convenient for us to travel with no language problem. Well this has nothing to do with looks.

On the other hand, what does he know, he only lived here for the past few years. Besides I suspiciously suspect that he has not met enough ugly S'poreans, to make such a sweeping statement, no??

Every country/region will have its fair share of good/ugly looking ones.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

Guest globetrotter

Today, over dinner with some friends, a friend's friend from Taiwan remarked, : "I just heard that singapore gays are known as prawn."

The rest are simply surprised that he has only learn of the singapore gay = prawn image.

The rest consist of people from Australia, Hong Kong and Singapore.

Of course, I have heard of it several times before.

They just rubbed it in telling how far and international this connotation has reached.

Are Singapore gays generally lacking in looks (head) and make up hard for the physical (body) department?

I had been travelling all over the world for the past 15 yrs. It's interesting to know how gays in other countries feel about gay Singaporeans.

I was in Taipei in 1998 &n 2003. I was asked by a Sauna Operator where I was from.

Before I could answer, he said I was a ABC (American Born Chinese). When I told him I was from Singapore. He was shocked and told me "No way". He said I did not possess the 'song' presence.

'Song' is a hokkien word which means beng. I later explained that I was educated overseas. He later asked if he could 'play' with me later. I said 'Maybe' bcoz I did not want to antangonize him. Mentally, I was thinking "NO WAY JOSE, not in your next lifetime"

Of course, I left the place as soon I 'came'.

Another interseting incident happened in ex-Towel Club in Singapore. I met a Taiwanese guy from

Tainan and he complained to me about how he was rebuked rudely when he approached a Singapore Guy with a well-toned body. He also mentioned that Singaporeans are 'Prima Donna who like to play hard to get' We took him out for Supper after that as an apology for his uneventful experience.

According to some of my foreign friends, they feel that the better looking gays are in China (Beijing) & Taiwan.

Another way is to visit the saunas in Singapore over the wknd to conduct an observation/survey to see if 'Singapore gays = Prawn Image' is true.

Perhaps it would be nice to be civil and considerate to other gays who are visiting or when we visit their countries. At least when they comment on us the next time, they would singapore gays are 'prawns', but they also got personality :).

What do u call those without look/body, Ikan Bilis? Prawns are more 'suck'ullent and 'cum'my :)

Can someone explain to me what is the meaning of "prawn" in this context? :unsure:

not sure where it first originated, but the line means that we're only good from the head downwards - just like when you're eating prawns, you only eat the prawn's body and dispose of the head.

this line was used in alfian saat's gay play Happy Endings. I recall the audience exploded in laughter, and i wondered if they found it funny because they think it's true, or because they think it's rubbish?

Gay who are into the sauna culture, DO NOT represent the gay population in S'pore.

Obviously if they had bad experiences in the saunas, their reviews will definitely be bad.

From my experiences with foreigners, none has ever had the cheek to debase S'porean.

Next time when you guys get these experiences, do yourself a favour (unless you arenot a S'porean in the first place), tell these foreigners to venture beyond the saunas and the rejections!!!

Guest truth is hurt

couldnt agree more.

u can compare face to face..sgporean with taiwanese, japanese, even with malaysian chinese or indo chinese.. body sure sgporean win.. face umm u guys lost.

and what make it worst is sgporean attitude..

just my opinion.

Beauty is subjective.

To each his own!

But IMHO, I think Singaporean guys are hot! Fair complexion + specs = hotness... But, my friends think otherwise.

===================================================================
homophobia is NOT a phobia. 
you are not scared. you're just being an a-hole!
===================================================================

I N S T A G R A M  |   F L I C K R  |  T U M B L R  

love-smiley-086.gif

When your foreign friends tell you in the face that S'pore gays are prawns, they are also telling you DIRECTLY that you are a prawn.

When someone insult you directly, did you:

(a)Agree w/out hesitation because you are a prawn?

(b)Agree because you think they are not talking about you?

©Disgaree with him?

I think when they refer to Singaporeans being prawn, they are referring to those Gym bod Cali guys whom are also those party circuit guys.

I was in Taiwan recently and had come to know from my friends about Singaporeans being called prawns. I can agree to some degree that Singaporeans do have the bod but not really the look because I do find Taiwanese guys has the look but not necessary the bod. So I said to my Taiwanese friends if Singaporeans are prawns, then some of the Taiwanese are just prawn head.

Anyway, my Taiwanese friends were apologetic when I told them I knew about the terms. It's more like a terms they shared on the side and not something to be said before a Singaporean, as it will sound insulting.

Guest caliguy

I think when they refer to Singaporeans being prawn, they are referring to those Gym bod Cali guys whom are also those party circuit guys.

I was in Taiwan recently and had come to know from my friends about Singaporeans being called prawns. I can agree to some degree that Singaporeans do have the bod but not really the look because I do find Taiwanese guys has the look but not necessary the bod. So I said to my Taiwanese friends if Singaporeans are prawns, then some of the Taiwanese are just prawn head.

Anyway, my Taiwanese friends were apologetic when I told them I knew about the terms. It's more like a terms they shared on the side and not something to be said before a Singaporean, as it will sound insulting.

well said and done Gachi..Singaporeans need to stand up against such comments,every country have their good and bad ponts..no need to openly insult people.

couldnt agree more.

u can compare face to face..sgporean with taiwanese, japanese, even with malaysian chinese or indo chinese.. body sure sgporean win.. face umm u guys lost.

just my opinion.

Very sensitive issue. In terms of face, sometimes I still can find some books with great covers, though not many. In terms of body, I always give Singaporean men the thumbs up. They work hard for it and they deserve all the praise. However, yes, personality is always a challenge. Finding a man with the whole package in Singapore is like finding needles in a stack of hay. No offense.

Sometimes I believe as many as six impossible things before breakfast

Guest gaysingaporean

couldnt agree more.

just my opinion.

Totally agree with you... and I am a Singaporean!

Prawn with an attitude? Oh dear?

Anyway, must say not all Singaporean are either not good looking or have great bodies. One of my friend is so good looking and have a charmng attitude BUT body is really quite out of shape. Nevertheless he's very endearing and definately hot, in my book!

Totally agree with you... and I am a Singaporean!

Prawn with an attitude? Oh dear?

Anyway, must say not all Singaporean are either not good looking or have great bodies. One of my friend is so good looking and have a charmng attitude BUT body is really quite out of shape. Nevertheless he's very endearing and definately hot, in my book!

Me 2! I am a regular sauna patron. Each week we wait eagerly for the 'foreign shipment' of 'lobster, grouper' from

Japan, Korea, Hong Kong, Taiwan and even Malaysia. My friends often lament that the quality of Singaporeans in sauna has gone down since 2005. I know sauna is not the majority but it still a representation of the gay population in Spore.

Question is 'Should Prawn consider plastic surgery like Korean?'

but I gotta say, the dudes from countries, in particular the West are much friendlier.

but I gotta say, the dudes from countries, in particular the West are much friendlier.

As compared to locals? in general?

Those may be quite embarrassing to answer.

"Kinsey says everyone has homosexual tendencies in various degree. YOU'RE ALL GAY!!!" ~ from some kid I overheard in a KFC.

As compared to locals? in general?

Those may be quite embarrassing to answer.

yes. it's just my opinion though~ don't even talk about gays; my American friends are wayyyyyy friendlier already lol, and gay friends I make from other countires like Malaysia, Taiwan, America etc are just like somehow nicer than local ones? Like.. I feel kinda ostracized here by the local gay men, but I feel better talking to those from other countries. ^_^

yes. it's just my opinion though~ don't even talk about gays; my American friends are wayyyyyy friendlier already lol, and gay friends I make from other countires like Malaysia, Taiwan, America etc are just like somehow nicer than local ones? Like.. I feel kinda ostracized here by the local gay men, but I feel better talking to those from other countries. ^_^

You know, a while back i said somewhat the same thing and the response was just complete denial.

Generally locals refuse to believe that they could possibly be rude.

the counter claim is that we feel they are rude because they refuse to have sex with us, so we think they are rude.

No point telling them otherwise.

"Kinsey says everyone has homosexual tendencies in various degree. YOU'RE ALL GAY!!!" ~ from some kid I overheard in a KFC.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I am singaporean and my taiwanese friend said the same. But the difference is he used real evidence to point out to me when he was here in singapore. He asked me to look carefully at singaporean's faces, young or old, men or women to notice the following features:

1. Typical Singaporeans face got "no chin" - means that the chin is usuallu slopping inwards or a very tiny piece of flesh hanging after the mouth.

2. Typical Singaporean face also got "no nose" - means that it is usually a lump of "garlic" at the end of a low bridged nose. Even with a high nose, it is usually not well formed and with a short termination at the nose tip.

My Taiwanese friend asked me to look around for evidence and first time i realised that there are really many typical singaporeans faces that look like those described above!

Especially thos I saw in gay sauna who have such faces and with a muscular body. They called them "prawns" - no cchin and no nose !!

Guest kendall

There are more evidence if one look close enough.

It's all in the genes, Sporeans are not meant to be good-looking, well, at least for the majority.

But what tickles, is that Sporeans do not have the self-initiative to understand the problem or cause, and hasve to rely on others to point these out. Of course, there will be a great load who denies these, insisting that Sporeans are indeed ok.

Well, it is not so important whether a guy is a prawn of not (tho in the world of gays, it is considerably important). What's to be highlighted is that- Don't Sporeans see these flaws in themselves?

Guest Lobster

There are more evidence if one look close enough.

It's all in the genes, Sporeans are not meant to be good-looking, well, at least for the majority.

But what tickles, is that Sporeans do not have the self-initiative to understand the problem or cause, and hasve to rely on others to point these out. Of course, there will be a great load who denies these, insisting that Sporeans are indeed ok.

Well, it is not so important whether a guy is a prawn of not (tho in the world of gays, it is considerably important). What's to be highlighted is that- Don't Sporeans see these flaws in themselves?

Why do I spot a smart ass foreigner here?

You mean to say that it is a FLAW to have genes that makes you comparably look less good looking, as compared with the rest of the Asian counterparts?

As a gay yourself , then you must be affected by living on an island, natives with all these FLAWS.

What tickles me here is that you don't even have your self initiative to realize how superficial you are.

Are you that better looking than any the natives here ?

If you can't stand our flaws, go back to where you fxxkING belong.

Guest Fantasy

Hmmm they paid a lot for gym and supplement also they effort to bulk up, so yeah i think it's ok lah if they want to get something in return their effort

I love Taiwan but I don't think they are much of a looker. And, guys there are more flamboyant (粉味超重的)

In Sgpore, the gay guys I met and consider good looking are actually from Malaysia or Hong Kong. They can be extremely down to earth and work-oriented. Malaysian guys are very genuine, if they consider you as their buds.

As for our home boys, I honestly think that we are above average in both the looks and bods department, not to mention the fact that our population is smaller and after averaging it out, we score pretty well. We speak well, earn decent money, have respectable jobs and well travelled. The only downside... We are also arrogant-materialistic-bitches.

Guest Kendall

Why do I spot a smart ass foreigner here?

You mean to say that it is a FLAW to have genes that makes you comparably look less good looking, as compared with the rest of the Asian counterparts?

As a gay yourself , then you must be affected by living on an island, natives with all these FLAWS.

What tickles me here is that you don't even have your self initiative to realize how superficial you are.

Are you that better looking than any the natives here ?

If you can't stand our flaws, go back to where you fxxkING belong.

Your questions (and anguish) is mis-directed.

The main point which I have brought up is awareness. Awareness where the local community in a selected department (looks) is, on a comparative basis.

And I would to bring up the point again - Sporeans are not a good looking race. To be more specific, it is the chinese race. Genes or flaws, these come the origin of the forefathers.

The main point which I have brought up is awareness. Awareness where the local community in a selected department (looks) is, on a comparative basis.

And I would to bring up the point again - Sporeans are not a good looking race. To be more specific, it is the chinese race. Genes or flaws, these come the origin of the forefathers.

So Chinese are not a good looking race?

By whose standards?

Why do so many of us Asians compare our features to Westerners (only the white ones, I am afraid) and then taking White Western standards as the basis for comparison, degrade our own race's looks? I've seen it happen with other non-Chinese Asian races who do the same thing, too, and I think it's a shame that we Asians have been so brainwashed that we cannot even consider ourselves good looking because we don't look like white folk.

I normally make it a point to avoid people who talk like that - as well as all those who talk about other races being ugly. I don't need racists in my life. And most especially those who pray to ape the white folk by "brightening" their faces.

Why do you think skin brighteners sell in the millions? Does anyone realise that they were originally called skin whiteners or lighteners until some women with common sense threatened to report them for racism? Some brilliant PR person then came up with the idea of calling them "brighteners" instead. I wish some Black lady would use one of those abominations for eight months and then sue the company concerned for a few millions because I seriously doubt that twenty tons of their creams would make her skin any "brighter"!

I'm Malaysian but I wouldn't turn down many of the Singaporean men I see when I come to your beautiful country. Your brown skin with Chinese or mixed Asian features that goes with those hot bods makes my legs weak at the knees!

Hands up all those forum members who "brighten" their skin! Be careful ya..."bright" face with dark hands look like panda if you are lucky. Skunk if you are not.

Edited by xiandarkthorne

Old and experienced but always ready for naughty fun! 

Guest Kendall

To be more specific, I am not even talking about angmos. But chinese to be specific. And one has to be aware of the origins of people.

Whether you like it or not, the best looking chinese comes from 江南/江蘇 in China。

In China, the 'worst looking' ones comes from the province of 福建。And within 福建, there are 3 main areas - 閩北,閩東and 閩南。

In 閩北, the place is geographically closer to 江南/江蘇, so these people are the better looking comparatively.

In 閩東, these are mostly Hockchews, and Hockchews are not the main migrants which come to Spore years ago.

It is 閩南, where the forefathers of Spore originate from predominantly (and also to other parts of SEA and Taiwan). These are the kind of looks which you would get from people like 吳宗憲。Talented he may be, but that is the typical type of looks which you would also get from general Sporeans.

The topic is on the awareness to the looks of the general community based on the origin of Spore's forefathers.

It is a case of one's meat, and another's poison.

I am not here to insult anyone, but rather sharing the fact and historical origins.

Still on looks, in Spore, I would think Malays have the best features amongst all races.

Guest Guest

To be more specific, I am not even talking about angmos. But chinese to be specific...

Still on looks, in Spore, I would think Malays have the best features amongst all races.

wow, you sound like a super model, maybe you should show us your face & body pic first,

so we know that are you belong to the prawn or you worth nothing at all, just like most out there like to gossip only

Guest Lobster

So now you decide to change your notion into some campaign awareness " Singapore Chinese Race Are Not A Good Looking Race"

So I reckon your notion, stamped out from your personal anguish, due to repeated rejection by the local Chinese here?

And again , I do forgive your stupidity and ignorance, which is a gene in you, passed down by your forefathers.

We rather be not good looking, than to possess some retarded DNA chromosome, like you do .

And I would say to you....F.U.C.K OFF from this forum..