Male HQ

Hangar - Gay Pub/lounge In Bedok Back In The Early 1980's

Lungker

Can some people here recalled and described Hangar, the lounge/pub at Bedok that was probably the first pub/lounge in Singapore catering exclusively to gays?

I never visited the place before cause I was studying in NY City when it opened and then closed.

For those who remembered, where was it actually located? What kind of place was it? Do they have dancing? What kind of clientele do they have? When did it closed?

Thanks for sharing.

Please play safely! Use a condom if you are having anal sex.

I'm old enough to remember The Hangar and I wrote this article in SgWiki:

http://sgwiki.com/wiki/Singapore_gay_venues:_historical#The_Hangar

The Hangar

Singapore's first gay pub-cum-disco located in a hard-to-find offshoot from Upper East Coast Road near Bedok was operational from the 1970s to the early 1980s. One had to trudge along a length of unpaved road up a mild slope to gain access to the bar, which was housed in a whitewashed, single-storey, elongated, dormitory-like complex of buildings know as The Summit Hotel. However, for those who drove, parking (albeit illegal) was easy to find on the opposite side of Upper East Coast Road as it was then just a patch of undeveloped grassy land and not the complex of condominiums which exists today. The Summit Hotel was probably a former colonial army barracks which was converted into a budget hotel to cater to Caucasian and Asian visitors. Today, a condominium called The Summit sits in its place. The patrons of the Sunday-only gay disco were Westerners as well as locals, although its existence was not very widely known. Looking back, some customers presently in their late fifties could not imagine how they could have grooved to the now seemingly uncool hits of that era like 'Beautiful Sunday' by Daniel Boone.

Edited by groyn88

Wow

I didn't know they had that kinda history. :blink:

I went there in the 80s a couple of times....prob change ownership.

Was intro to a couple of shareholders....who actually works in the hangar in some engineering outfit :smokin: :whistle:

By then it was more like cheap disco...you buy one drink sit n dance longtime for the not so wealthy ones ;)

That was the compain i did hear about...of course the regular drunkards are heartily welcomed in these places.

• 1 year later...
  • Guest locked this topic