Male HQ

Facebook Style On-Page Chat

Do you use and find useful the Facebook on page chat ?  

97 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1. We saw some discussion in BW about Facebook style On-Page chat.

The chat that is at the base of the Facebook page.

2. Facebook users can chat with their facebook friends without going to a new brower page/tab. The one we're looking at also includes video chat.

3. There was some discussion among the moderators that we should have this feature too on BW. When reading BW forum, member can have 1 to 1 chat with other BW members who are online at BW.

4. Pros: Encourage Guest to signup as BW members so they can Chat and interact.

Cons: Are we just Duplicating MSN and Facebook Chat. It may strain our computer resource too.

5. Tell us what you think in the poll and give us your thoughts here too.

These will serve as useful input in our internal planning.

Cheers !

fb_style_chat.jpg

I think it'll be fun but will it increase operating costs for the site?

Yes it will dig into our pockets for this enhancement. Hence we would like all to have a honest feedback that do you think this type of chat is useful. We really dont want to utilize our limited budget to get a white elephant feature.

Personally I do use FB chat, its real time and fast response when my friends are online.

:thumb: When I Think It, I Do It, I Win It! :thumb:

i believe it will be of use . but of course , give it a test , see how people responses to it , but of course not everyone is always on BW (me) not sure if the rest comes to BW website and then leave it on just like facebook . if yes , i believe it will be very useful , maybe akin to facebook ? yeah , and it doesnt matter if its like msn or not , cos not everyone uses it . but well , like i said , i would like to try it , if it is up .

1. Yea. Someone noticed :)

2. This Chat Software is a TEN days Trial version.

Tell your friends and test it with them.

You people LIKE it / HATE it, let us KNOW !

3. Still doing some testing. so may have problems.

We are also monitoring the demand of the resources on our server CPU.

To ensure it does NOT slow down the forum too much.

Notes

a. This is Members Only as you need an ID to address the chat to.

We currently configured it to allow all members to chat with each other.

In future we may make it like facebook, both parties need to"friend" each other in their profile, before you all can chat. ie You cannot chat with a NON-Friend, so start to friend and get to know people !

b. Help us test the "Video Chat". Top right of chat panel, click video.

Then in browser URL,make sure you allow Blowingwind.org to pop-up.

Guest payon

i noticed that when you click on the user name on the top of the charbox, it doesn't redirect you properly to the user page?

the url is '/user/7297-kristendalton'

instead of '?showuser=7297'

i noticed that when you click on the user name on the top of the charbox, it doesn't redirect you properly to the user page?

the url is '/user/7297-kristendalton'

instead of '?showuser=7297'

Thanks Payon fo notifying us of this bug.

Will fix this after the Trial (if we continue)

Reason: This chat is a Trial Version,. They do NOT give us source code and all options in the trial version.

Mmh, I don't see the function appearing on the mobile site. Maybe it's like you said before, that it's a trial version that's why it's options are limited. That said, I would be nice to be able to use it on mobile site though.

Can u use the chat system in Mobile Facebook? No right? If u wanna chat on mobile, u can use whatapps or just call.

Volunteering for the underwear association for third world countries. Please donate your used underwear to me.

1. imchaser is right, we could turn it on in our mobile-skin.

2. However, the user interface isn't built for "mobile small screen" devices.

It will cover up too much screen space and difficult to use too.

3. Thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers !

Can u use the chat system in Mobile Facebook? No right? If u wanna chat on mobile, u can use whatapps or just call.

That would be true if we had each other numbers but that is not the case here. The chat now allows all members to communicate with each other without the need to expose personal information to strangers. You'll prolly go "then what the point of making friends?" I have no comments for that except people have different approaches to making friends. If they take longer to trust people then more power to them. Having this chat benefits them. Having it on mobile would be nice, it's not like I'm insisting they do it. Just a suggestion, don't need to get your knickers in a bunch.

We will be hosting an online chat session at 2359 tonight.

Topic : this experimental chat feature.

A chat room will materialize around that time. Accessible from the chat button about that time.

Come chat about this chat if interested.

Cheers!

<p>

That would be true if we had each other numbers but that is not the case here. The chat now allows all members to communicate with each other without the need to expose personal information to strangers. You'll prolly go "then what the point of making friends?" I have no comments for that except people have different approaches to making friends. If they take longer to trust people then more power to them. Having this chat benefits them. Having it on mobile would be nice, it's not like I'm insisting they do it. Just a suggestion, don't need to get your knickers in a bunch.

a mobile is a mobile. Don't keep expecting everything to be same functionality as a computer. I'm sure u understand this theory? Using Facebook apps as a benchmark, if they don't have it well its for a reason. Just be satisfied with what being offered at the moment.

Volunteering for the underwear association for third world countries. Please donate your used underwear to me.

1. Thanks to the 20+ members that turned up for the 2359 chat about this new FB like in Page Chat.

2. This new FB like chat feature is still an EXPERIMENTAL feature for BW.

We will run this for 10 days trial before the Mods decide whether to make it permanent.

3. We shared that we metered about 6.5K messages in this 24 hours. Much higher than we expected on the first 24 hours.

3. The CPU of our server spiked about 5x as the chat messages were sent in quick succession. This load have caused some slowdown in the forum and the chat itself.

4. As I told the group, please vote in the poll above.

We want at least 50 votes in favour before we will procure the chat software and add more CPU to support it.

We want to ensure that whatever money we collect from our advertisers, we want to make sure it is stretched and well spent.

(Our current advertiser is SportsManAsia - See their advert above, please patronise them)

5. We also told the group to try

a. Video Chat: The video chat will pop-up a window which will be blocked by most browser. You need to click the warning message in the URL address that you allow the pop-up from blowingwind.org to continue. You also need flash on your browser.

b. Members can send pics / videos / music files via chat to your friends

Members can access these by clicking the gear icon at the top-right corner of the chat.

6. Generally the members feed-back was Highly Positively.

They comment that it make the forum feel closer and interactive.

They also experience members that were formerly strangers reaching out to them to make friends.

Of course there were some other "un-gentleman requests". We encourage members to block such members if they are uncomfortable.

7. We thank everyone for attending the chat room session and their support for BW forum.

Cheers !

I really like the idea of it!

I know this is kinda redundant as a comment since I already polled, but I really like this initiative!

Although the chat rooms, if crowded, are gonna be annoyingly messy, I'm still superduper supportive of the feature~

Awesum job mods~! :D

"One of the best things about a forum is that it's a place where you can find the most random and outrageous quotes on the internet." - Ghandi

I find the system quite user-friendly. I believe it would be nice to have it on the site. Thank you for the update :)

Clicking on the username during a chat brings up a profile like

http://www.blowingwi.../user/XXXX-ABCD

Which is the facebook profile page

Would it be possible to reformat the formular for the link to display it as

http://www.blowingwi...hp?showuser=XXX

allowing us to directly view profiles? :D.

I think it would be nice to have new category in the forums for things like official updates, suggestions and feedback. And stuff like that.

Thank you :)

JUSTAMUSICALBOY :D ~ singwithme!

SUPPORT PINK DOT AND LIKE!

https://www.facebook.com/pinkdotsg/

Congrats for the initiative anyway.

I did not really find my right answer in the poll. I just used it one time, when one member "called" me (right word?). It was funny, but I'm not sure I'll become a frequent user.

And, technically, it worked. OK, I'm not such an expert to see any bugs...

Mmm mine stays stuck when i press it on my iphone.

I think having the chat function is quite good. Makes things a lot more efficient than waiting for an email to notify me that i got a new msg or refreshing the page constantly! And i dont think it's only the young that will use it.

Btw, not too sure if its a bug or what but when i close the chat window, it doesnt stay close. It pops up after awhile or after i load another page. Anyone experienced this too?

Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.

-- Oscar Wilde

i noticed that when you click on the user name on the top of the charbox, it doesn't redirect you properly to the user page? the url is '/user/7297-kristendalton' instead of '?showuser=7297'
I find the system quite user-friendly. I believe it would be nice to have it on the site. Thank you for the update :) Clicking on the username during a chat brings up a profile like http://www.blowingwi.../user/XXXX-ABCD Which is the facebook profile page Would it be possible to reformat the formular for the link to display it as http://www.blowingwi...hp?showuser=XXX allowing us to directly view profiles? :D. I think it would be nice to have new category in the forums for things like official updates, suggestions and feedback. And stuff like that. Thank you :)

1. Just did some bug fixes. Fixed the issue above. Thanks for reporting guys.

2. Increase the "length" of the chat bar too.

This was suggested by some guys in the chatroom last Fri chat session.

Cheers !

Well i feel that this chat function still quite laggy. I tried opening multiple BW site and i chatted with a guy on 1 tab, the other tabs can't seem to update itself promptly~

1. Thanks for the feedback on the chat "lagging".

2. I added more "threads" (ie resources) to service the chat. Also optimised our Database further.

3. HEAVEY Chat users like you, please feedback to us whether you feel ANY Improvement (ie The tuning effort is in the right direction) Also whether it is fast enough. I will then see how much I can push our current hardware resources.

Cheers !

1. I just looked at the poll result above.

As at NOW, 54 members say YES they will use and finds fb-like on-page chat useful.

This is 67% of the votes.

We have achieved at least 50 Yes which was my initial target.

2. We average 6K chat messages/day.

This chat feature has DOUBLED our CPU usage.

This is after our current round of resource optimisation. It still looks manageable.

3. The Trial chat licence expires on Mon.

4. The Mods will be voting on this internally by Sunday on whether to use whatever $ we have to buy this chat licence.

They will consider the views of the Readers Poll in (1) computer resources in (2) and whatever their personal leanings.

5. So if you like/hate this chat feature, go canvas whoever mod you may know :)

Will let everyone know the result soon.

Cheers !

1. Sorry guys, I thought the Evaluation Licence will expire Mon. Instead, it expired on Sunday.

2. Internally NOT all the mods have casted their votes yet.

But so far, it does NOT look promising :(

So if you guys want the chat feature, please PM/Call/Canvass whoever Mod you know to ask him to vote YES for it.

Cheers !

• Guest locked this topic