Male HQ

Can Hiv Positive Be Flight Attendant?

Guest FlightCrew

Guest FlightCrew

Hi guys, I would like to know how high is the chance of airlines recruiting and accepting people that are HIV positive?

I really like to work in SIA but can't find much info on the net regarding to this.

Any experienced in this industry can give me some info?

THANK!

Guest Guest

SIA requires you to pass a medical examination before they accept you. I am not sure if it includes HIV, best is to email them straight and ask.

I'm sure SIA doesn't accept HIV infected persons because the attendants need 2 be in direct contact with the passengers. There would surely be some discrimination against this group of people n I dun think the airline would take the risk 2 hire such staff.

For other airlines which r more liberal, I think there may be a possibility of getting hired but I'm not entirely sure.

If you know about HIV, it is not spread by an infected person when he/she serves you drink or hand you a towel or adjust your seat belt etc etc. The virus from the infected person must get into you through a wound / opening into your blood stream.

Even if you get a cut and the flight attendant dresses up your wound, you will not be infected cos there is no virus from an open wound of the flight attendant to pass on to you.

However, many organisations are unlikely to employ a HIV carrier especially those that are customer oriented.Some are image conscious. BUT , it is heartening to know that there are also many other big organisations/ companies that have no discrimination against HIV carriers.

Guest cactus

Hi guys, I would like to know how high is the chance of airlines recruiting and accepting people that are HIV positive?

I really like to work in SIA but can't find much info on the net regarding to this.

THANK!

I am into aviation.

Depending whether SIA requires crew to go for blood test or not.

I am sure Jetstar Asia, Tiger Airways do not require Cabin Crew to go for blood test. If you want to enter to get this job, please apply now. Otherwise, rules change will be difficult.

However, many organisations are unlikely to employ a HIV carrier

This sentence is true. Not only applies to customer service sector.

it is heartening to know that there are also many other big organisations/ companies that have no discrimination against HIV carriers.

Not true.

Edited by cactus

Guest cactus

SIA requires you to pass a medical examination before they accept you. I am not sure if it includes HIV, best is to email them straight and ask.

Never ever send or ask them in email.

If you alert them, they will impose compulsory blood test for everybody. This will smash everybody's dream and rice bowl.

Edited by cactus

Hi, if SIA doesn't employ a person who has HIV, that would be a discriminatory practice.

Having said that, some companies should to be ignorant and continue to discriminate. I now that when companies do that and the employees let Action for AIDS or MOH known they can speak to the company to educate the company.

Not employing someone for a job when the work does not expose a person to injuries is discriminatory practice.

But yes, do find out about the blood tests required. It shouldn't be necessary for a local person to get a HIV test though.

Hi sexiespider, u mentioned "its shd not be necessary for a local person to Gera HIV test though", but an foreign worker shd be tested for HIV? Ain't that "discrimination " as well? Do u agree that foreign worker"a with HIV shd not be granted work permits?

Hi sexiespider, u mentioned "its shd not be necessary for a local person to Gera HIV test though", but an foreign worker shd be tested for HIV? Ain't that "discrimination " as well? Do u agree that foreign worker"a with HIV shd not be granted work permits?

Hey, you have read my postings. You know clearly what my views are - I am all for non-discriminatory practices. Any human person should have their basic human right respected.

Unfortunately, in Singapore, the government expects foreigners to be tested. Naturally, I do not agree with this. What research has shown is that education to encourage people to use condoms and go for HIV testing is more effective than laws which penalise.

Guest Guest

Hi, if SIA doesn't employ a person who has HIV, that would be a discriminatory practice.

guys pls be rational. SIA is not some religious, charity or high moral organisation. it is a profit organisation. cabin crew is at the frontline, interacting closely with passengers. they also deal with your meals and what u eat onboard. crew also perform first aid when it is needed. discriminatory or not, this is frontline customer service and not some office jobs and SIA would not want to take a risk and im sure many of their passengers will support that, whether u like it or not.

Guest Guest

So what if it is a discriminatory practice? The ruling party couldn't care less if the company hire only foreigners, why would it give a damn about any other discriminatory practices?

guys pls be rational. SIA is not some religious, charity or high moral organisation. it is a profit organisation. cabin crew is at the frontline, interacting closely with passengers. they also deal with your meals and what u eat onboard. crew also perform first aid when it is needed. discriminatory or not, this is frontline customer service and not some office jobs and SIA would not want to take a risk and im sure many of their passengers will support that, whether u like it or not.

Hi, I don't think this is an informed opinion. You can ask around the cabin crews in all airlines - there are people living with HIV who are cabin crew.

Dear sexiespider, my take? Of cos not, the purpose if foreign workers are yo work, the state shd not be burdened with their healthcare cost. So u agree or not?

Hi, you are bringing out a few issues here. Singapore is only one of the very few countries which still restrict the entry of people living with HIV/AIDS into the country. There are also countries which provide access to healthcare and medication of foreigners with HIV/AIDS in their country.

My question to you is this - one day if you are tested HIV positive (I do not know what you current status is now) and you would like to migrate to another country. Would you hope that the country will cater for your needs, or would you want to fear that you might not know how you can take care of yourself.

As I have already shared on another thread, research has shown that a person living with HIV can live another 30, 40 or 50 years. A person still have a whole life ahead of him. Are you suggesting that because he has HIV, or one day if you have HIV, that you become less of a human, and that you should not be given the equal rights that you should deserve? Or are you saying, you have certain discriminatory beliefs that are guiding your thought processes?

What you have also brought up are too larger issues:

1. In terms of proportion of GDP spent on healthcare, Singapore ranks one of the lowest in terms of healthcare proportionate expenditure. I won't even go into the issue of foreigners here. Already, healthcare spending to Singaporeans isn't adequate. Instead of being worried that healthcare costs will not be spread adequately across Singaporeans and thus we should treat migrants with lesser rights, it would be a more sound proposal to advocate to the government to increase healthcare expenditure for Singaporeans.

2. Education is a more important tool to ensure the protection of the safety of the population. Instead of laws which restrict the movement of people on the basis of their health condition (unless there are clear infectious symptoms which can be easily transmitted, then the best case would be to ward the person), it would be a more sustainable plan to educate people on their rights and protection needs. A sound proposal would be for the government to educate Singaporeans on condom use at all levels of education. This has been shown by numerous research to be a more sustainable approach towards protecting people's health.

Of cos foreigners can have access to medical drugs be it HIV or cancer in our country provide they pay for it. My question to you, if u agree that a blue collar worker can work in sg if he has HIV, do u expect our govt to be paying for his healthcare?

Guest Guest

Hi, I don't think this is an informed opinion. You can ask around the cabin crews in all airlines - there are people living with HIV who are cabin crew.

Really sexiespider? U dun anyhow anyhow say what u like.

Most airlines, including SIA, require u to declare any illness, physical or mental, on the application form.

Sexiespider, how much increase in tax would you like to pay to get more healthcare? Do you even pay income tax? If u want to accept foreigners with HIV to work in sg thus their health issues become out country"s problem, so why not open the floodgates and get rid of health screening than? AI if anyone from anywhere becomes sick here can all depend on the state. Why don't you study Britain"s NHS and see How long does it take you to see a doctor in a public clinic/hospital if u have the common flu.

Once again, sexiespider gave an unrealistic and too simplistic view on HIV n basically treats it like if u are having "high blood pressure", making contracting HIV sounds like its not a serious illness as according to him, a HIV person can live for another "30 to 50" years. So according to sexiespider, if a man kena HIV at 30 years old, that person can live till at least 60 years up to 80 years, thus kena "HIV" is "no big deal lor". This simplistic message sexiespider is trying to sent out is basically dangerous to the community as will it lead to throwing caution to the wind? Will iit make people fxxk without condom, will it lead to a HIV positive person have sex with a person without informing the other party as "hey, so why if kena HIV, can live for another 30 to 50 years" just like any other "normal human".

Guest GIRL

Hi to TS,

I am not trying to go off topic, but if you want more info, email the company or you can check out flowerpod under careers, there is a thread on SIA...maybe you can find more info there...

But FA is a tiring job and not a glamorous job as lots think... Also flying is very tiring....

the links

http://flowerpod.com.sg/forums/Reasons-Air-Stewardess-t66806.html

http://flowerpod.com.sg/forums/SIA-t2259.html

Really sexiespider? U dun anyhow anyhow say what u like.

Most airlines, including SIA, require u to declare any illness, physical or mental, on the application form.

Hi, I just spoke with someone. Based on what he is saying - for a particular airline, if a person is tested HIV positive as an existing crew, the person can stay on. But if the person is a new applicant, the person might be turned away because of there will be tests which needs to be done.

But I also understand from him that there was a case of someone who is positive who managed to be employed as a crew.

So, like someone has suggested here. The possibility of being employed depends on the rules set out by the company as well.

Sexiespider, how much increase in tax would you like to pay to get more healthcare? Do you even pay income tax? If u want to accept foreigners with HIV to work in sg thus their health issues become out country"s problem, so why not open the floodgates and get rid of health screening than? AI if anyone from anywhere becomes sick here can all depend on the state. Why don't you study Britain"s NHS and see How long does it take you to see a doctor in a public clinic/hospital if u have the common flu.

Hi, I won't get into a debate with you on this issue. You can set up a separate thread and we can discuss these issues on that thread - if you have the evidence and analysis to back yourself up.

If you look at the spending by the government, you will know we have one of the highest surplus in the world, one of the highest reserves, the highest per capita reserves and one of the lowest healthcare expenditure in the world. This suggests the government has sufficient financial strength to support any increase in spending, without further taxation.

I am not interested in getting into a debate with you on an irrelevant forum, not least if you do not have enough statistics, knowledge, justifications or analysis to back you up. It will be like discussing with a hot air balloon.

Thank you.

Once again, sexiespider gave an unrealistic and too simplistic view on HIV n basically treats it like if u are having "high blood pressure", making contracting HIV sounds like its not a serious illness as according to him, a HIV person can live for another "30 to 50" years. So according to sexiespider, if a man kena HIV at 30 years old, that person can live till at least 60 years up to 80 years, thus kena "HIV" is "no big deal lor". This simplistic message sexiespider is trying to sent out is basically dangerous to the community as will it lead to throwing caution to the wind? Will iit make people fxxk without condom, will it lead to a HIV positive person have sex with a person without informing the other party as "hey, so why if kena HIV, can live for another 30 to 50 years" just like any other "normal human".

Hi, I have told you off on any forum thread and I will tell you off here again. If you have personal "opinions" which are not backed up by scientific evidence and informed research, then I suggest you read up. The amount of evidence out there is staggering enough to turn you on your head and throw what you say into a bin, to put it gently.

http://isites.harvar...=icb.page414422

According to this study by Harvard, "

Antiretroviral (ARV) drug therapies are enabling people with HIV to live increasingly longer lives. In 2008, the Antiretroviral Therapy Cohort Collaboration pooled data from several countries in the developed world to show that those who begin highly active antiretroviral treatment (HAART) at an initial CD4 cell count of >200 per microliter of blood can expect to live to their early seventies (Antiretroviral Therapy Cohort Collaboration 2008) (see Table 1)."

A person diagnosed with HIV at 20 can live to 70 years old if he continues to take his medication regularly and takes good care of his/her health.

"Advances in antiretroviral therapy appear to have transformed HIV infection into a long-term, treatable illness. It is incumbent on all AIDS health care professionals to optimize therapeutic outcomes by practicing in a setting that recognizes the social and psychological needs of our patients, while providing expert HIV-specific care and consistent attention to routine health maintenance."

"AIDS is now viewed in the Western world as a chronic, life-threatening illness with two phases: HIV infection and AIDS... Many HIV-positive people suddenly realized they have a future, if limited, where there had been none."

To conclude, obviously, any individual, regardless of their HIV status, should use condoms to protect themselves and their sexual partners. Does the suggestion that HIV should now be managed as a chronic illness belittle prevention efforts? If it does, the availability of scientific research and these doctors and researchers do not suggest so.

That people living with HIV should manage their lives positively, is something that should be encouraged, so that they can live confidently and proactively. Once they have a better self perception in their lives, they are also more likely to take care of the health of others, and protect others as well.

HIV educational and preventive efforts, such as condom use and HIV testing, go hand in hand with encouraging and constructing a supportive environment to people living with HIV/AIDS.

Edited by sexiespider

So basically sexiespider, u saying sg is rich. That's the only thing we as a country has, mOney and nothing else. As everyone knows, to save money is difficult, to spend is damn sexy.

Hi, set up another forum and we can take it from there - if you dare. Just make sure you have the information and research to back yourself up. I am frankly, quite tired of your ramblings.

The purpose of this thread is not to discuss this. I think we should at least respect that.

Thank you.

Guest Guest

just freaking call SIA or ask SQ crew if they need to go for blood test before employment would solve the problem.

if u r so gian to be SIA crew whether u are HIV positive or terminally cancer-ill.....just go and try...if still fail, then thats too bad.

instead of asking n asking, just go ahead and try. lucky if u get in.

Actually if you use abit of common sense, I would say the answer is definitely NO.,

They won'y even bother to hire you because there will be thousand and one so much healthier candidates to choose from ,and they have all the right to deny you employment without giving you a valid reason.

In the first place, SIA emphasis so much on the importance of image grooming....crew with a certain pleasant look to serve people and encourage people to come back flying with them

Thus they won't even hire an employee, who is HIV positive, who then , in time to come, shows signs of unhealthy physical health deterioration.\

This will scare their customers and invite unnecessary comments , which they are answeable for

Also bear in mind. Your medical expenses when you fall sick is a cost to a company.

They will foresee your up coming pile of MCs are a cost to very cent of their revenue.

In addition, they will see that they don't see the need to bear your medical expenses, from a condition you inflict upon yourself.

If you were to own a company and aim to maximize your revenue, you will also think like any capitalizing entreprenuer, so you can't blame them should you be rejected.

PS btw from a blood test, they can trace all your pass medical history, whether if you were previously a substance abuser, or even you have syphillis before.

Blood test is not solely for HIV detection.

Guest tanyaya

THANK!

I personally find that this discussion is meaningless.

Do expect the world to change for you overnight. Yes, you like to work in SIA but SIA has certain SOP for selecting their crew. If you're unable to work for SIA, how about working for other airlines?

Look at things in another perspective, you will be a happier person.

Example: I was at 7-11 the other day queueing to pay at the counter. Suddenly, a school boy (12, 13 yo?) asked me: "Uncle, can you give me 50 cents?" I asked: "Why?" He answered: "I short of 50 cents to buy drinks" I asked again: "How much you have?" He replied: "$2" My final reply: "then buy a drinks that is $2 or less, bye" He persist with a sour face: "Uncle, don't like that leh." I paid my item and left. While I applause this boy for the courage to ask a stranger for 50 cents, I admit that 50 cents is a small amount but I disagreed what he did for whatever reasons he did. Always remember: “When life hands you lemons – you make lemonade.”

If u really wish to be a flight steward, why not chose a less demanding airline? Sq flight attendants job is not a walk in the park, it's long hours n demands are great. It's not like a restaurant where u finish your meal in an hour, you will be providing full service for many hours to many people. Why not find other airlines overseas, flight attendants job scope at airlines like Ryanair is very much less demanding than sq.

• 7 months later...
Guest positive thinker

SQ doesnt accept flight attendant with HIV positive, i was an experienced crew and I got the offer from sq as a cabin crew while i was still flying with my ex-company, I resigned from my ex-company and accepted the offer from sq. I went for medical check up and surprisingly i got tested HIV positive which i nvr expect that it would happen on me. they requested me to redo the test again, and came out with the same result. after a month i received the letter from sq that they withdrawed the offer. I m pyshically fit to fly but due to this reason, they failed me because of my medical report. i could still fly with my ex-company but i gv up as i knw i need to take care of my health because flying life is so unhealthy. and i gv up my dream as a flight attendant. i m now working with a pharma company and i m quite happy with my decision and no regret for leaving airline. well, one may have a dream to be a flight attendant, but this is not the only dream you have, agree? ofcoz i do hope that SQ accept crew with hiv + but in fact they are not. life goes on dude.

and crew job is not as glamorous as u thought! no doubt, the pay is good, but u hv to sacrify ur time and alot more ... believe me, there are better options beside flight attendant :)

If you are HIV +, best is not to fly. U can't handle the schedule of irregular flight hours if you started your medication. One type of medication may cause halucination & u felt like floating n make u sleepless if you awake.

Guest Guest

SQ - Singapore Airlines and  CX - Cathay Pacific, both premium  airlines  requires blood test   for being an airline crew !

Guest Guest

SQ - Singapore Airlines and CX - Cathay Pacific, both premium airlines requires blood test for being an airline crew !

No there isnt, as of late 2012.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Goodboy

Hi i read all the topics.. But some of them i cant understand n i keep asking myself n others opinion... I do my test this last 2 days i i find out that im possitive n they take my blood again to make it sure my result n i need to wait 2 weeks time to see the reSult. last year i take it was negative i suprise n shock n i pannic n i dont know wat i will do.. My concern is im not able to get job now here in singapore coz im not local.to apply new job here must take bloodtest rite?I really want to work here n start again as normal. nobody know my situation n even my family... If anyone give me good advice n help me to get some info that i can stay here longer n live like a normal person.. Thank you

Guest guest

Poor thing, u didt protect yrself during intercouse? In order to stay here u must get a job, which required blood test, including on aids . u need counselling from the gay self help group.

Guest BADBOYZ - amei

is anyone know some company hired hiv positive..thanks...im foreigner..thanks in advance

which company or industry is are you wanna work in? thanks you toooo

• 6 months later...
Guest cabin crew

With international airlines I'm sure they don't hire hiv positive flight attendants because they will fly to countries with Yellow Fever and u have to get a certificate of Yellow Fever to get to that country, that we all know. So that Yellow Fever injection u get from a doctor can get u sick if u hiv positive so airlines don't wanna take that risk because if u get sick u can't fly so its like hiring a person who will take sick leave imminently after employment internationally.. Not sure about domestic flights though

I do not think airlines will knowingly accept applicants who are HIV positive or have STDs or any number of serious illnesses.   There is always the possibility of a flight accident and the last thing an airline wants is be sued because the injured Flight Attendant was HIV positive and may have infected passengers being evacuated.  Those passengers may have open wounds.

This is not about being tolerant or accepting HIV positive people.  However, if a FA is already on the job and is found to be HIV positive they may not sack him and if they want to be extra cautious, may offer the FA a ground job.

On a separate note, I am a firm believer in Urine Therapy. Google HIV and Urine Therapy and find out for yourself on claims that UT can reduce the HIV infection or even cured it. I am not making any claims, just passing on what I have read.  At least worth trying.

SQ - Singapore Airlines and  CX - Cathay Pacific, both premium  airlines  requires blood test   for being an airline crew !

No, SQ doesnt do blood test, but theres a urine test. i dunno whether urine test can detect whether you have HIV though.

• 5 months later...
Guest Atchie

Not advisable for hiv+. Stay away from direct facing customer oriented jobs. Youre exposing yourself to infections like tb (which we dont form immunity) and others.

• Guest locked this topic