Male HQ

Straight Guys Discussion (Compiled)

Guest Guest

how well do u get along with straight guys and do u have many close straight male friends?

as im not effeminate and do not appear gay, i can talk and interact with straight guys easily but find it hard to develop further relationship (purely friendship) with them. no prob talking about work or common issues etc but when they talk about girls, women, marriage or life plans and issues, it is always awkward as there is problem going on.

most straight male friends that i get along better with are from school days since we have known each other for a long time or watch each other grow up and move on with life. even so, i have drifted away from some of them. for newfound friends or colleagues, it is hard to move on beyond just normal friends or acquaintances.

Interesting question. All my life, I have been with straight friends, have never had gay friends. From my years of observation, the straights normally would not have close guy friends who are effeminate. Or hang out with effeminate guys.

I am curious too as to how gays engage in girl topics with straight friends. I'm not a good example as I'm interested in girls too.

Edited by justa_bi69

I have no or little gay friends hahah! All straight and getting married, means I am getting poorer with no way to get the money back =p ~

:ph34r: If Michelangelo had been straight, the Sistine Chapel would have been wallpapered :ph34r:

LOL. I have lots of gay friends and str8 friends too... I think I can talk well too with them, with a little bit of filtered sentences, when it comes to girls, money, house and dramas but I don't talk automobiles, watches and football. It kinda makes me a little awkward with no knowledge about them and I will try to change the topic right away XDD

And yes, I can get along well with my str8 friends, but we couldn't be close or best friends. Good friends maybe.

Hv many str8 guy friends but few are close. Prob cos im not out to them and they do not know tt im gay. Always feel that deep down im 'hiding' smth towards them and its hard to hv heart to heart talk with them.

All my guys friends are str8. As time goes by, almost all of them are either married and already have kids, or attached with gf. Except me still single, so i guess i am started drifted away from them as they might find me weird and abnormal being single.

Edited by alien

对自己好是一种幸福,

对别人好是一种积福。

Spend time counting your blessings,

not airing your complaints.

Guest stbrianud

Considering I go clubbing 4 times a week and interact with (I assume) hundreds of straight guys a night. Yea I hVe a lot of straight friends. And my best guys friends are straight lol.

Considering I go clubbing 4 times a week and interact with (I assume) hundreds of straight guys a night. Yea I hVe a lot of straight friends. And my best guys friends are straight lol.

I assume u talk to strangers??

Will you be my valentine's? :D

TS is asking whether we have close straight guy friends and not straight friends. Im sure most of us have many straight guy friends.

Guest stbrianud

TS is asking whether we have close straight guy friends and not straight friends. Im sure most of us have many straight guy friends.

Please read the last line before commenting thanks

What do u guys do when u are with a few str8 guys and they started talking about girls/women?

then you talk about boys/men and joke around if you're out lol, if not then arm..just be a quiet listener and throw in a comment or two.

two of my best friends are straight guys and they're twins lol look like k-pop stars but i treat them like my younger bros. probably only thing in common is gaming and dancing. they're even comfortable to strip in front of me LOL but I'm considerate enough to look away.

Instagram | @sodamnsonni

Twitter | @sosonni

Just talk to them regarding the girls/women too! It's not exactly thatttt boring and uninteresting, im always amused and amazed by their description of girls and how they feel and think.

It's interesting to see their point of view on girls. Haha, and there have been instances that i acted as a spy for some of my female friends to see how the guys feel towards them.

In fact, if u understand girls' psychology well, str8 guys friends will look up to u for help, like u're some god or something.

Back to topic, I have straight male friends, i can talk abt anything under the sun except 1. relationship and 2. Sports. haha XD

Fearing that people may get homophobic, i tend to maintain a distance

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all"

When I was younger, I used to have lots of str8 friends, but as I grew older, I realised that whenever I am with my str8 friends, I have less common topics to talk with them. I used to be able to play along with them and tell them about how I can get sex easily (i changed the gender from male to female). My friends are usually impressed that I can get laid with "girls" so easily. Moreover, I never have problem with striking up conversation with either men or women. And in a few occasions, I even join my str8 friends to str8 notti places.

But as I grew older, I prefer the company of gay men and I can be myself with my gay friends than with my str8 friends. I do have a few close str8 friends that hangs out together, but they know nothing about me nor about any of my relationship. Also over the years we drifted apart and are less close except a few good friends.

It was during my recent birthday dinner that one of my str8 friend comment that he had never seen me with any girls nor do I share pics of me an a girl nor hear me talked about a girl that I was seeing. It was then my brother told my friend that I had many girl pics in my facebook and that I am choosy from all the choices I can have. By then the topic have been changed and I don't have to come up with an answer for my friend.

So far I am blessed to be able to have a few good gay friends and a few str8 friends as close friends. Unfortunately, I can't reveal my true self to my str8 friends although there were times I would really wanted to tell them that I am gay as I personally felt that it's not right to keep it from your close friends, but knowing him, I am sure this particular str8 friend of mine will be really shocked to know that I am gay as he is totally clueless. So, what he don't know don't hurt him.

You don't have to have many close friends, it's not about quantity, it's about the quality of friends that you have.

All my close friends are straight I have zero close gay friends, we meet once and that's the end of the friendship most of the time it's sick how gays move on so fast cause you find new targets to talk to.... Disgusting....

Fattie bom bom walk down the street

All my close friends are straight I have zero close gay friends, we meet once and that's the end of the friendship most of the time it's sick how gays move on so fast cause you find new targets to talk to.... Disgusting....

if you clearly say that you are meeting up for friendship, I think it will last longer lol I just met up with someone from here and had a really good time for the whole day, we clicked instantly.

Instagram | @sodamnsonni

Twitter | @sosonni

Lol everyone that I met was for friends we had dinner and chats at Orchard road, and not meeting up at prp cbp punggol park your house my house

Lol everyone that I met was for friends we had dinner and chats at Orchard road, and not meeting up at prp cbp punggol park your house my house [hahahaa!]

oh well I guess it's hard to become good friends with people you meet a lot in school, so it'll be harder to become one just after a meeting or two with someone online. I think gay friends are somehow nicer to have in a sense that you can be more open and you understand each other more. Need to find more myself :P

Instagram | @sodamnsonni

Twitter | @sosonni

I guess a friendship takes two hands to clap, thus it really depends on both parties on developing that friendship.

On the other hand, I guess it's not fair just to generalise gay as 'fast moving'. However, I do believe that there is a substantial number of people here who have this kind of attitude, so just get use to it and move on; I am sure you'll be able to find friendships which will last in this community!

Back to the topic, I do have a good mix of straight and gay friends and I can say that I am very fortunate to have them. I am out to quite a lot of my straight friends and they are really open-minded about it, so I have no problem hanging out with them!

Back to the topic, I do have a good mix of straight and gay friends and I can say that I am very fortunate to have them. I am out to quite a lot of my straight friends and they are really open-minded about it, so I have no problem hanging out with them!

Same here. I do feel very fortunate to have straight friends who are open-minded. My circle of close friends are both straight and gays and we're pretty much open with ANY topic. One of my closest straight friends even shares to me his sexperiences, his sex fantasies, etc. with the girls he met. Some would also ask advice from me how to score a girl or with regards to their relationship with their partners. I really wondered of all the guys, why me? They know I'm not even straight in the first place. Haha... One of these straight guys also said that he hated gays because of his encounter during his young age, and his dad also hates gays. He even shared how they talk about the chubby, effeminate guy they saw during the enrollment and that he would never want to have a roommate like him, which turned out to be one of his rommates, and in the end is one in our circle of close friends. XD He said that he was glad to have known me, and more because we became friends, because it opened him a new perspective towards us gays and made him realize how judgmental he was (actually he still is, haha).

With regards to people whom I just met or ones I just had been friends with, I also find it difficult to move on beyond just as it is. But that is when they do not know of my sexuality and I opt not to expose further. I just can't share much if I have restraints of what I have to say, especially just like TS, if the topic is about girls, women, marriage or life plans. I'm very much open for the possibility, but not necessarily on my bucket list.

It just all boils down on how you respond well to these people and how they see you as a person, disregarding your sexual preference, interests, background, etc. At the end of the day, if they find out you're gay, but you had done no ill-will against them, they don't have anything bad to say back. It happens to me a lot (during my college years that is), that I become friends with groups of people - batch mates, volleyball/tennis/badminton buddies, outings, lower year classmates, dormmates, professors - without them knowing about my sexuality at first. And when they find out, some would be shocked, some wouldn't believe, some wouldn't mind, and at the end, we became closer. I had a heck lot of friends during my college, straight or not, and it's because, maybe, I had been nice and honest to them.

Edited by fallequinox01

"Listen -- are you living just a little and calling it life?"

Mary Oliver

oh well I guess it's hard to become good friends with people you meet a lot in school, so it'll be harder to become one just after a meeting or two with someone online. I think gay friends are somehow nicer to have in a sense that you can be more open and you understand each other more. Need to find more myself :P

Yes I agree gay friends are better to have since you can go about saying things like "OMG look at that cutie over there yummy bubble butt winks"

Yes I agree gay friends are better to have since you can go about saying things like "OMG look at that cutie over there yummy bubble butt winks"

^ I do this with my 2 girl_friends. XD

It's best to be with people you're very much comfortable with.

"Listen -- are you living just a little and calling it life?"

Mary Oliver

Haha yea since I have not open myself to my straight friends I can't be going about discussing about guys..... Can only talk about girls pretend that bitchh is hot like lava

You don't have to have many close friends, it's not about quantity, it's about the quality of friends that you have.

Very true. I value friendship very much. Have 2 very good straight friends and 2 very nice gay friends. I have known them between 6-18 years.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

善待对人。麻烦用英文来表达信息。不是每个人都会看的懂中文 “People need to learn the art of making an argument. Often there is no

right or wrong. It's just your opinion vs someone else's opinion. How you deliver that opinion could make the difference between opening a mind,

changing an opinion or shutting the door. Sometimes folk just don't know when they've "argued" enough. Learn when to shut up."

― J'son M. Lee 

interesting question. i think the above situation of friends drifting apart happens to all kind of people. not only straight guys. i hope i dont have to face such problems in my adult life. right now as a teenager, i think i get along well with straight guys n i have a few stragiht close friends. spend time together and talk nonsense n crappy stuffs together. good for bonding.

I have no issue getting along with straight guys. Most of them are straights anyway. We joke and laugh under the sun like normal people. The only thing that saddened me recently is on the topic of finding gf to settle down. One of my close friends said he'd unfriend me if I'm gay. :( Idk if they are close friends anymore.

Edited by gammaray

high frequency | biologically hazardous | penetrating

Guest stbrianud

hello! :D

Kawaii? It means cute or pity

Ogenki desuka? (good day?/ how are you?)

Genki desu(good day/ good)

Bad translation haha

Edited by zwei

• 3 months later...

Used to have close straight guy friends when i was younger. Those days, lives were simpler and not much probs. But drifted away as we got older as they get married etc or move on with their 'straight guy' life. Ppl said close or true friends do not care whether u are str8 or gay but it is easier said than done. I will be guilty too as i have came up with stories about girls last time.

Now straight guys that i meet at work or during course of work etc are just very normal guy friends.

Interestingly i do hv female friends who know im gay and they are very accepting and do not look at us differently which im quite surprised of. But they didnt quite believe when i told them at first.

Dun have any close gay friend and much gay friends as im out of the circle and gays i met are more interested in less serious stuffs.

• 2 weeks later...

There was an openly gay guy I worked with. I'm gay, but not "out" at work. Most of the straight people I work with are very religious at work. The guy lasted only a few months, then I didn't see him after that. Dont know if he got fired, ran off, or just quit. I am pretty quiet when I'm working on that floor.

I've been always joking to my friends that i am gay and i keep on discussing guys in front of them. At first they are like O_O and then now they are like =] and even discuss together with me.... LOL....

haha! I've been trying to psycho my str8 flatmate to accept the gay lifestyle by talking abt boys I found cute. (I'm not out to anybody) we would always talk abt gals and their 'headlights' but I would intersperse my conversation with, "eh! Cute boy!" Thing is, my flatmate once told me that he could not accept gays and that it was unnatural to him, which was why I had been trying to brainwash him (one less opponent is one step to victory lol) no success till now, though.

Yeah I don't function as well with str8 male friends. There is always this element of flesh-to-flesh contact with me. I'm guessing str8 guys like to shy away from this. Gay men are just perfectly fine with a hand on their back/shoulders/thighs. My friends anyway.

I grew up disliking physical contact, and it was the str8 guys who kept hugging me, patting my shoulders etc that I gradually opened up!

I work in a 99.8% male environment; through my interactions with my work partners, I learned to speak their language (sports, football, cars, gals and kids(their family, I mean). the previous few topics tend to be very superficial/scientific, so it was easy for me to join in the conversations; As for kids, I just declare that I hate children, so I when stay silent when they start talking about parenting, they wouldn't really fault me...

haha! I've been trying to psycho my str8 flatmate to accept the gay lifestyle by talking abt boys I found cute. (I'm not out to anybody) we would always talk abt gals and their 'headlights' but I would intersperse my conversation with, "eh! Cute boy!" Thing is, my flatmate once told me that he could not accept gays and that it was unnatural to him, which was why I had been trying to brainwash him (one less opponent is one step to victory lol) no success till now, though.

Hahaha well good luck with that. Don't try too hard though. My friends are a bit open i think so i guess they can accept it... :D

Many straight friends I know are already attached and too rather busy to meet up.

Their girlfriends are their worlds to them.

Agreed, my str8 friends also seldom meet up, cos they are all attached or married.

对自己好是一种幸福,

对别人好是一种积福。

Spend time counting your blessings,

not airing your complaints.

I'm not out to them but conversation with guy straight frd are still ok. I find difficulties connecting with straight guys that I just known, but I'm ok with friends that I know for years. I mostly have difficulty when they talk about sports. If they talk abt gals, kids and stuff I can still chip in. I have more female friends so I got question from the guys about gals quite often as well.... No xxx talk though as my friends all know that I don't like them to objectify woman.

成熟不是心變老,是淚在打轉,卻依然還能微笑。

Connecting to straight guys, well, it depends really. Some of them, I just feel comfortable talking to them, some, I will just say some minor stuff and forget about them. Conversation topics are restricted to work, games, politics. Once they start moving into relationship, I will just say some stuff, try to blend in otherwise, I will just keep quiet (if in a group context).

I don't have that many gay friends. So far, I think only three including overseas one.

Close straight guy friend? I think maybe two. One of them, I practically chat with him everything.

I think for me to really click with someone, it must start with work. Random chat won't work well with me. The usual hi bye, hello stuff, I usually won't respond far.

• Guest locked this topic